The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Sports Spotlight: Jabari Anderson

Junior Jabari Anderson moved to Texas from Mississippi when he was in second grade, where he began playing football.

“My mother pushed me to play other sports like baseball and basketball, but football was my favorite,” Anderson said.

This Varsity running back has played a big role in the playoff bound Raiders’ successful season. He has rushed for nearly 1900 yards and 26 touchdowns as well as nearly 200 yards receiving. He is the leading scorer on the tsunami of blues squad with 156 points through the first nine games.

Anderson has turned heads all season as the Raiders have trampled over opponents to climb to the top and into the playoffs. Anderson has had scouts looking his way the entire season. He would like to play for Louisiana State University because he likes the city and the environment.

“It fits me personally; I can relate to the people,” Anderson said. “I would also like to pursue a career in criminology. I want to make a difference in kid’s lives.”

In September Anderson was a nominee for Dallas Morning News/SportsDayHS Hero award, which is the fans’ choice for player of the week in the Dallas area. Every nominee each week is eligible to win the player of the year.

“Jabari hasn’t even reached his full potential. He works hard and has determination,” tight end Jesse Brubaker said. “He is a one-man wrecking crew.”

Anderson’s teammates are proud of his accomplishments.

“He has only just scratched the surface,” wide receiver Marcell Ateman said.

Anderson was also selected by The Marine Corps Recruiting Station (RS) Dallas as a Marine Warrior of the week after he ran for 178 yards with four touchdowns to lead the Raiders to a 52-21 win over Trophy Club Byron Nelson. As a weekly winner, Anderson is now a finalist for Marine Corps Elite Warrior of the Year.

“Awards aren’t a big deal for me; I just keep my head focused on winning games,” Anderson said.

Anderson has had a lot of momentous games this season. He says his most memorable would be in the Raider’s lone loss to Highland Park.

“I broke seven tackles for a 70 yard touchdown,” Anderson said.