Season of Firsts

Season of Firsts

The Raiders came across uncharted territory this year after making the playoffs in numerous sports, creating upsets and becoming an athletic powerhouse.

The varsity football team started a tradition this season and set the tone for the often disregarded Raiders. The team captured the flag and sunk the ship of the Pirates season after a 63-7 upset. The Raiders were led by quarterback Garrett McCain, who, although only a sophomore, led his team to an 8-3 record while throwing for over 2200 yards with 21 touchdowns against just five interceptions. The Raiders also had a thousand yard receiver in Marcell Ateman and a running back duo that rushed for over 3000 yards and nearly 40 touchdowns. The Raiders made the playoff for the first time and to top it off Wylie East receiver Quan Jones verbally committed to the University of Baylor and Marcell Ateman committed to Oklahoma State. Jones and Marcell were both selected as Under Armour All-Americans.

Wednesday, Feb.1 was another first, national signing day in which high school athletes sign a National Letter of Intent with a university. Family, coaches and teammates gathered as senior football captains Jacob Hosking and Tyler Morris signed with Grand view University in Des Moines, Iowa. Hoskings and Morris will be going from Raiders to Vikings together as they begin their college careers. With the majority of the team returning, the Raiders will look to keep their newly founded tradition rolling.

“Now that we are going we pass this football to the juniors,” senior Barbosa said at the football banquet.

The football team wasn’t the only bunch of playoff bound athletes in the school. The varsity men’s soccer team set a goal to make it to playoffs and they did just that, making the playoffs for the first time. The club led by junior goalie Dylan Cook also made it to the second round of the state playoffs for the first time in school.

“The reason we had such a good season is because we realized that it was going to take hard work. We weren’t the most skilled team, but we for sure had the most character,” Dylan Cook said.

Along with the men’s soccer team, the women’s varsity made it to the third round of the playoffs led by District MVP Leslie Snyder. Snyder was second on the team in scoring goals with nine and tied for first with five assists.

Raider nation began a new tradition of success this season and topped it off with the success of James Anderson and his journey to the state track meet. Anderson who  took second in the 100 meter dash at the region II meet which was held in Arlington, will represent Wylie East in Austin.

Although Baseball did not make the playoffs, certain athletes on the team put up outstanding numbers. Senior pitcher Zach Freeman led the team with in runs batted in, wins, strikeouts, earned runs against and innings pitched, Freeman tossed an outstanding 1.94 earned run average. Junior Jesse Brubaker was third in hits, second in runs batted in and led the team in both at bats and homeruns. The Raiders came up one game short from making the post season.

“I felt this season was my strongest, I finished among the top pitchers in our district, although the season didn’t end up the way we wanted it to but it was a great season,” Freeman said.