Standout wide outs go to D1 schools

Standout wide outs go to D1 schools

Seniors Marcell Ateman and Quan Jones present quite a challenge for opposing defenses, each towering over 6 foot 4. Defenses have the inevitable challenge of covering both of these wide receivers.

Ateman at 6 foot 5 and 200 pounds, leads Raider Nation with a career total of 128 receptions, for over 2000 yards in just 2.5 seasons with 22 touchdowns. Ateman has shown promise, improving his numbers every season since his freshman season.

“I always play hard and never do anything less than my ability,” Ateman said. “I had to work on my speed, disciplined and being coachable.”

Ateman has climbed the national and state ranks. Ateman is no. 245 in the ESPN top 300. According to ESPN.com, as a wide receiver, he is 38 nationally and 32 in the state of Texas. Ateman, along with Jones, are both Under Armour All-Americans.

“I feel like all my handwork is showing now and the world is realizing it,” Jones said.

Ateman has over 16 Division I offers including, Michigan, Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.  Ateman announced his commitment to Oklahoma State on Twitter May 2.

“Committing to Oklahoma State was easy. The coaches are great and the offense fits me,” Ateman said.

Quan Jones, a four star recruit, has come into his own zone this season, on pace to have the best season of his high school career.

According to SportDay HS Jones, had 20 receptions for 298 yards with three touchdowns just midway through the season. Jones has been heavily recruited by Division I schools and has verbally committed to Baylor University.

“I felt good with my decision, and felt like this is the team I was meant to play for,” Jones said

The deadly duo has caused mayhem for defenses all season, combining for the 77 percent of the teams receiving yards, and 75 percent of the teams receiving touchdowns, with over 850 yards and nine touchdowns.

“It causes matchup problems for a lot of teams, so that creates an advantage for us,” Jones said.

Raider Nation has high expectations for their high flying offense. This season the team had been as high as 38th in the state according to Maxpreps.com. Coaches and fans expect nothing less than a deep playoff run for the Tsunami of Blue.

“Our goal as a team is nothing less than state,” Ateman said.

Ateman and Jones are both versatile athletes, with strength, agility and speed and are anxious to carry their success over into the next level.

“What Ateman has shown he can do is get open deep to take advantage of his size and leaping ability,” Wescott Eberts of SBNation.com said. “If all he can do in college is exactly that, he should still be effective.”