Sapphires at your service

Drill team receives award for giving back

Season+of+service+%5C%5C+Giving+a+thumbs+up+as+her+resident+places+her+marker+on+the+correct+spot%2C+sophomore+Halli+Fulton+volunteers+at+Founders+Plaza+Nursing+home+along+with+the+Sapphires+for+their+service+project.+The+drill+team+spent+the+day+hanging+out%2C+singing+Christmas+songs%2C+and+handing+out+gifts+to+the+residents+there.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sapphires at your service

Season of service \\ Giving a thumbs up as her resident places her marker on the correct spot, sophomore Halli Fulton volunteers at Founders Plaza Nursing home along with the Sapphires for their service project. The drill team spent the day hanging out, singing Christmas songs, and handing out gifts to the residents there.

photo credit: Audrey Wentz

photo credit: Audrey Wentz

photo credit: Audrey Wentz

Addie Orr, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Sapphires competed at the American Dance/Drill Team (ADTS) Competition at Rockwall Heath High School Saturday, Feb. 2. Among the sweepstakes awards, judges awards, best overalls and more, one award stood out: the Get Poms Giving Back Award.

The team visited Founders Plaza Nursing and Rehabilitation, a nursing home in Wylie, spreading Christmas cheer to the residents through singing carols, dancing, playing bingo and giving gifts back in December.

I think acts of service are such an integral part of being a team. Giving back is so important. I was also ecstatic for the sergeants because a lot of preparation and planning went into the event on their part. They deserved this recognition, for sure.”

— Mrs. Brittany Miller, drill team director

The service event, organized by the Sapphire Sergeants, was planned in hopes of spreading the team’s spirit elsewhere.

“One of the other sergeants had already done a service project there and loved it so we wanted to do it again with the team,” sophomore sergeant Audrey Wentz said. “It was a fun way to spread joy to somewhere that doesn’t usually have as much Christmas joy.”

Nearly three months later, the sergeants sat on the gym floor of Rockwall Heath, listening to the long list of awards. When the Get Poms Giving Back award was announced, they all sat back thinking the award wasn’t for them. Their eyes widened when, much to their surprised, the announcer started talking about spreading cheer at Founders Plaza.

“I’ve worked with that nursing home, staff and residents before, so it was nice to introduce my team to an organization that has made such an impact on my life,” sophomore sergeant Samantha Burkhart said. “It felt really good to be recognized for a project that meant so much to me.”

As the team’s first time to receive the award in the school’s history, Director Mrs. Brittany Miller and Assistant Director Mrs. Stephanie Jackson were especially proud.

“I think acts of service are such an integral part of being a team. Giving back is so important,” Mrs. Miller said. “I was also ecstatic for the sergeants because a lot of preparation and planning went into the event on their part. They deserved this recognition, for sure.”

The Sapphires will continue to shine in service and dance at their next competition at Northwest High School March 2.

About the Writer
Addie Orr, Co-Editor-in-Chief

As a junior, yearbook clubs editor, newspaper co-editor in chief, Sapphire Lieutenant, AP student, and full time fangirl, the words “free time” don’t...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Sapphires at your service”

1. Viktor on February 19th, 2019 2:44 pm

Good job with community service, I feel like this is very important for community.

2. Ella Schulting on February 19th, 2019 2:54 pm

I love this story, it really shows how involved organizations are at this school. (GO SAPPHS!!) As a sapphire its good to know that we get appreciated for the things we do.

• Sapphires at your service

Staff leader in yearbook, newspaper programs receives national recognition

• Sapphires at your service

Little Shop of success

• Sapphires at your service

Features

Dancing through the decades

• Sapphires at your service

Clubs

Triumphant tunes

• Sapphires at your service

Top dog

• Sapphires at your service

Clubs

What ifs

• Sapphires at your service

Clubs

Record breaking

• Sapphires at your service

Features

Soaring to new heights

• Sapphires at your service

Namaste in Yoga Club

• Sapphires at your service

United scholars

Sapphires at your service