Volpi, Olajimi Dominate District UIL

photo credit: Kim Creel
Copy editor Maggie Volpi, Editor-in-Chief Gloria Olajimi and staffer Gabe Ferrel represented East at District UIL April 4 and placed in every journalism event offered.
Three newspaper staff members competed at District UIL Thursday evening at Rowlett High School and placed in every journalism event offered.
Copy editor Maggie Volpi took third place in News writing, first in Features, first in Editorials, first in Headlines and third in copy editing. Editor-in-chief Gloria Olajimi placed third in Headlines and sixth in copy editing. First-year staffer Gabe Ferrel had impressive scores, as well.
Volpi and Olajimi advance to Region UIL later this month. Congrats to all three!
View Comments (1)
Kim Creel
Kim Creel, Adviser
Kim Creel grew up in Wylie back when it was an itty bitty town and can tell you most of its stories. She began her writing career in eighth grade as a staff writer for the Wylie Middle School newspaper, The Crossbone Chronicle.  She continued her journalism journey in high school and was named editor of the WHS newspaper, The Galleon, her sophomore, junior, and senior years; she was the co-editor of the yearbook her senior year. She was also the first lieutenant and clarinet section leader in That Wylie Band. While her band days are long gone, she's still a giant word nerd. She studied journalism, among many other things, in college and wrote for the North Texas Daily at UNT for a hot minute. Her writing has also appeared in Dallas Child Magazine. She received a BBA from LeTourneau University and a MEd from UNT. She has a daughter who is a senior at WEHS and identical twin sons who are both seniors at UTD -- one is a finance/economics major and the other is a criminal justice/pre-law major. Fun facts: one of her sons is named after a writer and the other is named after a photographer, representing two of her favorite hobbies. Her daughter is named after a princess actress, because who doesn't want to be a princess? She loves reading, writing, taking pictures, kayaking, baseball, and twisting into pretzel poses in yoga class. She's also a certified yoga teacher. She currently teaches Journalism 1, Photojournalism, Digital Media, and advises this newspaper as well as the yearbook. She previously taught in a neighboring town and is thrilled to be back home. #RFL #WEbelieve

• L

lobnaApr 7, 2024 at 8:52 pm

putting the DUB in East!!

Reply