Did the ‘Raider Rumble’ rumble or tumble?

Hands go up \\ Debuting the Raider Rumble Oct. 3 during the crosstown showdown pep rally, the whole student body participated.

Hands go up \\ Debuting the Raider Rumble Oct. 3 during the crosstown showdown pep rally, the whole student body participated. "I cannot believe the turn out," senior cadet Kelsie Mathis said. "It is amazing what the Raider Rumble has done to our school spirit." photo by Caroline Witty

Caroline Witty, Staff Reporter

After raving about The Raider Rumble for a week, its debut was at the Crosstown Showdown game Oct. 3. Creating excitement, the rumble caused the student section to be an ocean of blue.

“I think that everyone saw the incredible school spirit and the buy in the students had for the Raider Rumble,” Principal Mr. Mike Williams said. “It was an amazing way that students can show school pride and spirit united as one body.”

Students chanted “Raider Nation” and “No mo’ AHMO” in the hallways during all passing periods and during the pep rally everyone danced to the rumble music.

“It was an amazing day at Raider Nation!” Williams tweeted. “Thank you students for making it the best and the most spirit filled pep rally of my 54 years!”

The rumble surprised students with the spirit and fun it brought to the school along with the hope that it would stay.

“Honestly I didn’t expect that many people to get into. It was a pleasant surprise,” senior Rebekah Porter said. “I hope the rumble is just a catalyst for more spirit to come. I want our school to support all sports and activities and just get proud of our peers.”

Senior Tanner Smithson, creator of the Raider Rumble, had high hopes for the choreographed dance.

“I had faith in everyone. Of course I was extremely hesitant at first, but it is actually sticking,” Smithson said. “Hopefully it will continue throughout Wylie East for years to come, but I feel as if school spirit is a combined effort of every student willing to participate. We took school spirit into our own hands and look what happened? We created a tradition, a legacy. Everything starts with us.”