Keeping tradition, making history

Keeping tradition, making history

Varsity Volleyball advances to round two of playoffs 

Keeping traditions wasn’t enough. The varsity volleyball girls wanted to make history and they did exactly that.

The team ended its season with a 3-0 win over Denison, leaving its record 8-6. This was good enough to send them to the play-offs and become the first volleyball team in school history to make it to play-offs, and the excitement didn’t end there. The girls win over Texas High School, made them not only the school’s first volleyball to make it to play-offs, but the first team in school history to make it to the second round.

The girls took a three hour long bus ride to Spring Hill High School in Longview, Texas, Tuesday Oct. 30, where they took on the Texas High Tigers, who were first in their district with a 9-3-1 record.

Despite being game day, the girls still had to practice when they arrived at Spring Hill High. Coach Kelly Lyons felt that after a long bus ride it was important for the girls to get on the court.

“It gave us a chance to work out any kinks before the match,” Lyons said.

After practice Lyons sent the girls to the locker room to get changed into their uniforms and to relax a little before the game. The girls laughed and made inside jokes to each other and even the coaches took a part in the fun.

“I’ve known some of these girls for four years and we are all very close. It’s hard not to joke around with them,” Lyons said.

At 5:30, all laughing aside, it was game time.

“We have a great time together, but they also know when it’s time to get serious,” Lyons said.

The team had warmed up and was ready to play. The girls took the first set 25-19, the second 25-15, and the third 25-23. The varsity team swept Texas High 3-0 in the first round of play-offs.

The girls practice several hours a week to prepare for matches, especially one as important as this.

“All the practice paid off because we played really well,” Lyons said.

The team will play Waxahacie, who is ranked 50th in the state and 270th in the nation, Nov. 1 at Forney High School at 7:00 p.m.