Fish swims in big bowl

Fish swims in big bowl

Ninth grader plays on varsity

The coaches only allow the best football players to play on varsity. Usually this is all seniors, most juniors and a couple of skilled sophomores, but rarely ever a freshman; however Jesse Ogle made the varsity team this year as a freshman and right guard on the varsity offensive line.

The last time a freshman was on varsity was the 2010 season with quarter-back Garrett McCain, who is now a junior.

“He’ll have to face being nervous and all the maturity, intensity and emotion of Friday night games that comes with it and handle it in a mature manner,” McCain said.

While Ogle expected to make a team, making varsity was a shock.

“I didn’t know I was going to be on varsity,” Ogle said, “I knew I had a shot though.”

Ogle has already started to notice the differences between his junior high days and the challenges of the varsity team.

“It’s a lot faster paced and guys are a lot bigger and much stronger,” Ogle said.

Even freshmen can strive to be the greatest and Ogle has proven to all the underclassman that where there’s a will, there’s a way.

“I was definitely nervous [at my first game] but it was awesome. It was the greatest feeling in the world being out in the Friday night lights,” Ogle said.

The team supports and stands behind Ogle as he starts on his journey as a varsity player.

“Keep fighting, work hard and just know it’s a long four years,” McCain said. “Play smart and listen to the coaches. They know what they’re doing.”