Dancing the dare

Dancing the dare

Theater has unique take on final exam
Like every other class, Black Box has semester exams. But unlike most classes, it has a unique take: “The dance dare”.

“Mrs. Farnham got the idea from The Ellen Show’s dance dare. We basically have to dance behind people without getting caught,” black box student McKinley Haney said.

It’s not all just fun though, the students must reach at least 70 points to pass.

“The point system goes: 10 points for a random stranger, 15 points for a parent or fellow student, 20 points per person if you team up and both dance behind the victim, 20 points for a teacher, 25 points for a principal and 30 points for Mr. Whittle because he is my advisor,” Theater Teacher Andrea Farnham said.

Each student had to choose from a variety of strangers to friends and even teachers and principals to creep up on.

“I snuck up on Mr. Whittle, Mrs. Thedford, Skylar Duval (with Addie Mathews), my sister and my dad,” black box student Megan James said.

Although it sounds fun, this exam is also serious and helps the students in a way they may not see yet.

“I chose this because it helps build confidence and getting them out of their comfort zone,” Farnham said. “It also helps them to be spontaneous. Black box is already advanced beyond their age group, so I wanted to challenge them with something fun, but difficult. It doesn’t have to be a 100 question test to be difficult.”

Each student had their own different experience with this challenging exam.

“It’s so awkward but fun, and a little embarrassing,” Haney said. “Even for theater kids it’s difficult to overcome the awkward feeling.”

Another challenge presented itself when students got caught by their victim.

“A lot of people got caught which means the points didn’t count,” Farnham said.

Some students got caught in their dancing dares but some made it without getting seen.

“Eventually they did, but not my sister. She’s only 6 and she never saw it coming,” James said.

Mrs. Farnham really tries to help her students come out of their comfort zone in this exam.

“Like I always tell my students, YOLO (you only live once). You’re your own worst enemy and the hardest challenge is trying to overcome that,” Farnham said.