Vacuum forming

Vacuum forming

Welding class builds unique machine

The advanced welding class constructed a machine named the Vacuum Forming machine. It took about two weeks to build. The machine moves a sheet of plastic over the mold, forming it into a plastic sculpture.

“The hardest part about building it was doing the electrical,” senior Noah Mills said.

The main function of the machine is to create an object out of plastic. The formation begins with choosing an object of your choice and laying it on the heat table.

The entire process of the forming takes about 10 minutes including the time it takes for the machine to turn on and actually form the object. The machine consists of a heat table and vacuums.

“We have used many wood objects that we built last year to mold into plastic,” Mills said.

Next, a sheet of plastic is locked into place above the heat table and then the heat table is raised underneath the sheet of plastic. The vacuums are turned on, shaping the plastic around the mold and removing any excess air. After this step, the piece is then finished.

“We’re hoping it will last many years after we graduate,” Mills said.

The machine is meant to continue to last throughout the future for as long as possible.

“The students are learning that they can manufacture machines that can manufacture parts,” Mr. Roseberry said, “They could therefore sell their machine or make parts with their machine and sell them. For our use it will serve as a way of quickly manufacturing things we can sell in fundraisers.”