The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Picking the winning prize

Picking the winning prize

FFA member wins horticulture award

Freshman Kelley Smith received third place at the Collin County Livestock Show for her Horticulture piece that she put together for FFA in early January.

A horticulture project is the growing of flowers, fruits, vegetables and plants for a fancy display.

“I used wildflowers in my horticulture, but I did not grow them myself,” Smith said.

She learned about them by watching other people create them, inspiring her.

“I have made about two or three and I learned how to make them by watching other people make them and using my own imagination,” Smith said.

Smith used a variety of flowers in her arrangement and it took an hour to create, arrange and finalize. The display she made for the show cost about $50.

“It was enjoyable, but making it all come together was the hardest part,” Smith said.

She was awarded a ribbon for her winning. “I was excited when I found out I received third place,” Smith said. She plans to continue her hobby creating more horticulture arrangements in the future.