The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Sticking with Textbooks

Coach Smith uses his IPad during class to easily look up information throughout the lesson.

iPads may be wave of future; but won’t be issued to students anytime soon

Hauling around large heavy textbooks, or having the ability to carry around a much smaller and lighter iPad…

Which is better?

Although there are pros to both, there are more advantages to having iPads than having textbooks.

Eanes ISD, near West Lake Hills, is one of the only school districts in Texas that issues iPads to every student.

According to the school handbook, “District provided resources are not private and may be viewed by district officials.”

Senior McKinley Haney has a total of three textbooks she carries daily.

“I prefer textbooks because although they are heavier and more difficult to carry around, they are more reliable and simple to use,” Haney said.

Assistant Principal Mr. Casey Whittle oversees all campus textbooks.

“I prefer iPads because they are more practical and provide more options for students and teachers,” Whittle said.

Special Education Teacher BJ Smith and his students use iPads during class.

“I prefer iPads. I can pull students grades while the teacher is teaching class. I, or the student, can look up info as needed throughout the lesson. The Internet is literally at our fingertips and with the iPad, you have all the textbooks right in your hand and it weighs less,” Smith said.

iPads are easily portable, they cost more than the average textbook and they can have technological issues that come up.  Textbooks are heavier, but they are more reliable and cheaper to purchase. Textbooks cost an average of $100 each and iPads range from $300-$500.

“In the near future, our schools will not replace textbooks with iPads,” Whittle said.