Reaching for the stars

Reaching for the stars

Breanna Figuly accepts high honor

Senior Breanna Figuly has a lot to be proud of these days.

Figuly got the news that she had been accepted into the Air Force Academy March 18, an honor only shared by about 1,000 out of over 11,000 applicants.  

“When I found out I got accepted, I literally fell on my bum in the kitchen and cried tears of joy,” Figuly said. “I was in shock.”

Getting accepted to the Air Force Academy is not an easy accomplishment. SAT scores must be in the highest percentile and the acceptance rate is at an intimidating 11 percent.

“The Air Force Academy is one of the best academic schools in the nation,” Colonel Wilbanks said. “She can use what she learns there for the rest of her life.”

Compared to her other siblings who have also been actively involved in JROTC, Wilbanks realizes how Figuly stands out.

“Where as the rest of her siblings were talented in specific areas, Figuly is the whole package,” Wilbanks said. “She has many talents. There’s nothing she can’t do.”

It is expected of AFA graduates to serve five years of active duty as a commissioned officer, but Figuly doesn’t want to stop there. She is truly reaching for the stars.

“I hope to major in aeronautical engineering or even astronomical engineering,” Figuly said. “After retirement, I would love to be of assistance to NASA.”

After telling her family the news, she told her second family that she had been accepted as well.

“The first people I got to tell personally after my mom had made it ‘Facebook official’ were my JROTC friends Sara Simmons, Ethan Sims, Jessica Woody and Jonathan Holland in a mass text,” Figuly said.

Figuly doesn’t stop improving. She knows that in order to lead she has to first learn to follow. By following the direction of her Colonel, she has the foundation for becoming a great leader.

Figuly accredits her success to her mother, Colonel, Mrs. Andrews and Sergeant. She knows that without their relentless support, all of this might not be possible.