Switching it up for a good cause

Switching it up for a good cause

Friday, March 8, for only one dollar, students benefited the American Cancer Society by attending the powder puff basketball game, hosted by the Student Council and Friends of Rachel Club.

Students who volunteered to be players or cheerleaders were able to participate in the game. With a variety of students and activities, such as the Sapphires and cheerleaders performing at the game, the Student Council and Friends of Rachel Club aimed to raise money for cancer research.

While attendance was optional, all students were encouraged to contribute just one dollar. After the initial dollar for admission into the game, students could also donate additional funds during the game. All money raised went directly to the American Cancer Society.  

“It was a time where students could make a difference in the community,” Student Council President Kaleena Pickett said. “It showed how a little effort can go a long way.”

The senior team, coached by Girls Basketball Coach Alicia Thompson, pulled out a victory over the junior class, which was led by Coach Colby Pohlemeier.

Competition was not the motivation behind the game however. Instead, all those who participated or contributed did so knowing they were saving lives. The game, with all its profits going directly to the American Cancer Society, truly showed the Wylie Way.