The day I saw the President

Michael Turner

More stories from Michael Turner

All American Eno
September 20, 2016
Presidential experience \\ Filming former President George W. Bush speak at the dedication ceremony, Editor in Chief Michael Turner gets a once in a lifetime opportunity to cover a president of the United States. He tweeted, filmed, photographed and wrote about the day.

photo credit: Casi Thedford

photo credit: Casi Thedford

I’ve never felt a rush like I did the day I found myself standing in the same room with a former President, specifically, George W. Bush, a President I’ve looked up to for years. Throughout my four years in journalism, I have experienced some pretty cool things, but nothing has ever compared to this. Growing up, I saw only two futures: pursuing paleontology, and pursuing presidential candidacy. I had big dreams as a child, none shining brighter than the potential chance of being the FIRST presidential paleontologist, EVER.

My teacher, Mrs. Casi Thedford, first brought up the idea of covering the event he would be attending and I was ecstatic. A brand new, state-of-the-art school named George W. Bush Elementary opened this year for Wylie ISD, a fantastic dual-language academy headed by a fantastic principal, Maricela Helm. Of course, such a great school had to have a great name, right? That’s where Wylie ISD’s school board suggested to name it after former Mr. President, which was a great choice, if 6-year-old Michael Turner can say so, himself.

When Mr. Ian Halperin was able to grant me permission to join the media pool and follow Bush around the campus for a photo shoot, it all became a reality. I promised myself I would act professional, sophisticated and educated, but once it all happened, I felt like a little kid again. Maybe, just maybe, the only thing cooler would have been if Mr. President came riding in on a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

The true purpose of media is debated on, but it has and always will be used as a means to tie the community together. What, throughout the entire world, could be more inspiring than witnessing tomorrow’s future celebrating today’s past? Our job is to report the news that happens within the community, and this was one of the most touching moments I have witnessed.”

— Michael Turner, Editor in Chief

As a potential future journalist, it was an astounding experience to be able to walk the schools with people that have made it to my future career path. Even more astounding, was that I was the only student in the district given the opportunity to walk with Mr. 43.  

Not only was it a great journalism experience, it was also extremely humbling to be in the same room with a man who has faced so much adversity and not only survived, but persevered through the trials of leading this country. It was a reverent moment to see a man who had been through so much more still be able to walk in and smile and lift up children throughout the room.

This experience not only gave me the opportunity of a lifetime, but it really taught me the importance of journalism in today’s society. The dedication was a cool moment, but what made it truly special was witnessing the children of tomorrow singing the school song, dedicated to George W. Bush. It was a spectacular moment, seeing hundreds of kids stand and sing about a man who, up until that point, might have seemed almost mythical.

As President Bush gave his speech, the entire room was entranced. He spoke of his love for the school, children and education. He even spoke of his love for the mascot, Ranger the Eagle, which highlighted his love for the major league baseball team, Texas Rangers.

The true purpose of media is debated on, but it has and always will be used as a means to tie the community together. What, throughout the entire world, could be more inspiring than witnessing tomorrow’s future celebrating today’s past? Our job is to report the news that happens within the community, and this was one of the most touching moments I have witnessed.

As a future journalist, I could ask for nothing more than this amazing opportunity I was given, to be in the same room as a former President, witnessing a serene moment, and being given countless and vital pieces of advice from fellow journalists who have made it, something I hope to say in the near future.

Today’s world is primarily focused on technology, allowing multimedia to slowly creep through the surface. It was a challenge, but a worthy one, to report this story in a timely manner through photography, video, social media and articles. Social media, I believe, has become one of the best platforms of journalism. People are brought together, quicker, than most any other way.

In the midst of the turmoil and uneasiness that has crept into our country, moments like today remind us what the United States of America is all about. We are here for each other, to help each other, and to lift each other up.

About the Writer
Michael Turner, former Editor in Chief

I am never good with biographies. My most common Google search is “best Twitter bios”…Anyways, my name is Earnest, but I go by my middle name of Michael. When I was little, my grandfather’s barber’s name was Earnest and he had hair in his ears. He scared me on this day as he told me the day I go by my first name is the day I’ll grow hair in my ears. Henceforth, no one has been allowed to call me Earnest and it stands still today. But it is pretty cool to have a book written by THE Oscar Wilde on how important it is to be me. I’m a pretty loud guy. I am highly enthusiastic about sports. Put me on a different continent, in a stadium for a sport that I’ve never heard of and I’d probably still go wild. I’m also crazy about movies, specifically historical movies such as Braveheart and Gladiator. Growing up, my favorite toys were dinosaurs and Ninja Turtles. That still stands today. I watch Jurassic World with a certain kind of awe I thought I’d only experience when I meet my children later on in life. I saw both of the new Ninja Turtle movies on premiere night, and the old movies are still held close to my heart. Michaelangelo is and always will be my favorite. I really enjoy writing, photography and getting close to people. Journalism has always been huge to me but this past year I’ve discovered a new passion for special education and I hope to go into that field after I walk the stage this May. This year, however, I am the Editor in Chief of the Newspaper and I cannot wait to see what we can achieve.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The day I saw the President”

1. Jessica Turner on September 22nd, 2016 12:51 pm

Fantastic article! I’m so proud of you!

2. Angel Wygant on October 19th, 2016 4:03 pm

Great Job!!

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

The experience

• Editorials

Let’s mullet over

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

The real question: Is marching band a sport?

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

We are the UNITED States of America

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

Popping pills kills academic skills

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

It’s Black-ish History Month

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

Developers: This is how you make a game

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

No vroom on the road

• The day I saw the President

Editorials

Six weeks mayhem

• Editorials

Adventure of a lifetime

The day I saw the President