The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Going the extra mile

Going the extra mile

Band director runs in marathons outside of school

Teachers’ lives are hectic with grading and lesson plans, but they still manage to have a life outside of school. Band Director Glenn Lambert manages to lead a band and run in marathons outside of school.  Running isn’t just getting up in the morning and deciding to go run competitively, there is training that must take place before a competition.

“I do two short runs of about 4.5 miles each week and a longer run each weekend,” Lambert said.

He is currently training for a marathon April 28 in Tennessee. This, coupled with band practices makes for an early morning rise.

“During marching season Lambert gets up early to go running,” sophomore Caitlyn Bogart said.

Even though Lambert is a full time band director, he still makes time outside of school to run in competitions. He has run in 19 marathons and two 50 mile ultra-marathons.

“I am trying to complete a marathon in every state,” Lambert said. “I have completed 15 states.”

Running in marathons is not all fun and games, injuries are uncommon but they do occur. The injuries are usually caused by under stretching or over working while running.

“I sometimes get shin splints and occasionally tight hamstrings but nothing too serious,” Lambert said.