Rules turning teens away

NorthPark Mall has instilled a new dress code and curfew for teenagers. The new dress code was put into effect to create a more family-oriented setting. The curfew is for those who are younger than 17 years of age.  If someone under the age of 17 is at the mall after 6 p.m. without an adult or legal guardian, they must leave the mall.

The curfew put into place is not something that will positively affect the mall. Teenagers don’t usually go out with their friends until after 6 p.m. anyways. There is no reason to impose a curfew that is going to hurt business not only from the teenagers, but from parents as well. Many parents would drop their teenagers off so they could hang out with their friends while the parents went and did other things. Now that those parents cannot do that, they have to drive even further to other malls and that wastes more time and money.

Although it isn’t a good idea to impose the curfew, it is a good idea that they implement a dress code. The dress code states that patrons cannot have saggy pants or clothing with vulgar images or print on them. A dress code in place would create a more family-oriented setting.

The NorthPark Mall has added these two rules to create a peaceful enviornment. The dress code is understandable because people do not want to walk around seeing underwear hanging out from people’s pants. Although it is an upscale mall teenagers are still teenagers and adding rules will only make people not want to come back. But the curfew has gone too far to the point where it will decrease business and revenue.