The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Adding up the days

Absences add up to truancy for some students

Fourteen seems a little young to be a criminal, but missing school can cause truancy and land students a day in court. According to FamilyEducation.com, colleges look at all factors of a student’s high school career, including truancy.

According to the State of Texas, Truancy is missing so many days of school without a valid excuse. Skipping class to run to Sonic or to get Chiloso is not labeled as a valid excuse. These absences may not seem like a big deal, but a day here and there can add up quickly.

“Students going off campus for non-school related activities can be given an absence for the period they left since they were not in class,” Assistant Principal Keith Kirkpatrick said.

Even if a student misses only part of the day, in the eyes of the court it counts as a full day absence.

Illnesses and family emergencies are valid reasons to be absent but students must turn in a note signed by a parent or guardian with the reason why the student was absent. Not every excuse is valid though.

“One time a student brought me a note saying that a garden snake got loose in their house which caused them to be absent the entire day,” Attendance Clerk Dalila Bruner said.

According to the Wylie East High School Student Handbook, “If a student accumulates three unexcused absences in a four week period or 10 full or partial days in a six month period, the student and/or the parent or guardian may be prosecuted.”

If a student misses more than 10 percent of school days they can make up hours they missed by coming in before school or staying after school. Students will be supervised by a teacher, who will sign off on the hours, to be a witness that the student actually showed up.

“I was close to being truant but I was able to make up the hours I missed after school,” Senior Taylor Gensler said. “The assistant principals said if I did not make up the hours I would not walk at graduation.”