Happiness is a choice

Every day, people go to work and school, they run the rat-race, the monotonous day to day things that get everyone down. People are debating whether or not it is a choice to be happy.

Happiness is a perception, and it is a decision that must be made at some point in life.

The saying, “smile until you mean it” has a great deal of truth to it. Anyone can choose to be happy, and it is so easy to slump down into a routine of get up and just mull through the day. Life is a lot more fun when the little things create happiness. Life is made up of choices, whether to choose to look at the beauty in the trees or the depressing house falling apart behind them, to let the joke told at lunch make a day better or let the person who is annoying ruin it. It’s all a choice. As a teenager, it is difficult to deal with hormones, high school drama and figuring out what life has in store. Students struggle with this every day. Some students even turn to drugs to get that “happy high” and get away from the dull reality of the world. Watching the walls every day, it is easy to just look at how grey they are, the repetition of the same old thing day after day. Life is about outlook and perception. Choosing to notice the things that cause happiness—rather than focus on the things that cause misery—can make life a lot easier to bear.

True, there are things in life that are painful and make people sad, mad and upset, not to be cliché but everyone has those days, everyone gets that way. It’s a lot easier to get over those things if the choice is made to be happy, sooner rather than later. Everyone has a day that they get home and all they want to do is lie in bed and never get up again, that’s only being human. What’s important is that the next day they get up and decide that they aren’t going to let anything get them down. They have to choose what part of life to focus on.

People need to choose to look at life in a way that will increase the happiness in their life rather than bring them down. Choose to look at the trees and laugh at the joke. Life is an adventure and people should appreciate it for everything it is. Life is short and it’s a lot more fun, happy.

Enjoy what life is, and change outlooks on life. Catch some sunshine, have a picnic in the park, cut the sandwich at lunch to look like a dinosaur—whatever it takes to cause a smile—do it. Catch you on the other side.