The Voice of Movement

The Voice of Movement

Theatre students to perform original work

The alpha class’ challenge was to start the legacy, and the main stage theatre class is continuing that challenge in their own way.

It was a choice of the students to write their own show about something that matters to them.

“It’s a series of pieces that show what goes on in the making of a show,” senior Aubree’ Keller said. “It’s about the energy an actor develops and the methods to get in tune with a show and their cast members, but put into a physical form.”

This is an opportunity to show the world just how much work being an actor can be.

“[It’s] something [the audience] never gets to see—how we do what we do, get ready to perform, and show that acting is more than just getting up and saying things,” junior Morgan Howard said.

It is not the first show the class has written, however it is the first to be performed.

“We’re doing this show now because we’re trying to pass on our legacy and what we’ve learned in starting a program and what’s important to the underclassmen,” Keller said. “It’s an amazing learning opportunity for both the audience and cast.”

It promises to be a unique show all their own because every bit of the show was written by the students.

“[Writing the show ourselves] takes away the cost of purchasing rights to a show, which allows for a bigger musical and one-act budget,” Keller said. “Plus, since it’s our own intellectual property, we can record it for upcoming actors to use. It’s our way of leaving a legacy, it will teach the younger kids how we function and see the world and giving them a solid base to build from.”

It will be performed Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. and Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. in the auditorium.

The cast includes seniors Aubree’ Keller, James Rosales and Asia Yisrael; juniors Skylar Duvall, McKinley Haney, Morgan Howard and Addie Matthews; sophomores Tanner Smithson, Kati Klakamp, Peyton Demetrovich and Abbey HItt; and freshmen Micah LaPointe and Miranda Maples.