Sweeping away with grand prize

Sweeping away with grand prize

The Student Council earned the Sweepstakes award from the Texas Association of Student Councils. It is the highest award given by TASC and is the first time a council has received this award at the school.  They also earned the Outstanding Student Council Award, Outstanding Pride and Patriotism Award, Outstanding Drugs, Alcohol, Safety & Health Award, Outstanding Energy & Environment Award, and the Outstanding Community Service Award.

Senior Kaylee Hicks is the leader.

TASC recognizes outstanding student councils in multiple categories each year based on published criteria and a point system. Student councils that receive the Outstanding Student Council Award and are recognized in the specific areas of Energy & Environment, DASH and Pride & Patriotism are named Sweepstakes Student Councils.  The Community Service report form is now required to be named a sweepstakes council.

“It was a relief earning the sweepstakes and knowing that all of our hard work has paid off,” Historian Elisabeth Teitelman said.

The council implemented over 140 different projects and donated a total of $9,115 in cash donations, donated goods of $9,406 value and contributed over 750 hours in service for the school and the community.

To be eligible to win these awards, the Student Council must accumulate a certain amount of points throughout the school year.

“I was very excited about it because it’s the first time we’ve won every award,” Sophomore Abbigail Quillen said.