The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Teen’s driver’s license taken away for underage tobacco abuse

Ready to move from behind your own wheel to that big yellow bus instead?

Everyone knows that teenagers under the age of 18 are not allowed to purchase or use tobacco, but everyone may not know that a minor’s driver’s license can be suspended if the minor is convicted of a violation of the tobacco law. Licenses may also be taken away if a tobacco-using minor does not attend a tobacco awareness program or perform tobacco related community service.

Anyone under the age of 18 caught smoking, or possessing tobacco products can be sentenced to pay fines, attend education courses or complete community service. If the youths do not finish their sentence, their driver’s licenses are taken away or suspended.

“I feel like they should allow younger people to use it too, because it will have the same effect as it would if we were 18,” junior Jeremy Baugh said.

More than 400,000 Texas youths now use tobacco products, according to a health department report.

“I’ve only caught three people this year, but they were all e-cigs though,” School Resource Officer Shane Varner said.

Chemicals found in tobacco smoke infect body parts from the heart to the lungs to blood cells.

“I think [tobacco] is good. I would do it anyways even if you were allowed to under the age of 18,” junior Colby Addington said.

Minors caught the first time can take an awareness class. If the class is completed, the ticket can be wiped from their records.

Minors caught a second time, or who don’t attend the class, could pay a $125-$250 fine and may even lose their driver’s license.

The third time a minor is caught with tobacco, a class C misdemeanor would be filed. Class C misdemeanors are punishable by a fine up to $500.

According to the student handbook, if the school rules are broken by using tobacco on school grounds, In School Suspension will be given to the student committing the offense.