AP Psych tours state hospital

Mrs. Richey’s AP psychology classes took a field trip Jan. 28. The classes visited the Terrell State Hospital for mental illnesses.

They toured the facility, heard stories from social workers, saw historical tools from the 1800s when the hospital was built and they visited with a patient.

The trip was separated into two days, first, second and third period went on day 1.

“Part of the field of psychology is called abnormal psychology,” Psychology teacher Mrs. Richey said. “This is all the disorders and mental illnesses. They go to the state hospital to see these conditions in real life. And to talk to nurses and employees of the hospital.”

The other periods went the following day. The students saw real life patients in the psychology ward.

“We got to learn how certain patients are treated, and how much is required to actually visit a mental hospital,” senior Anthony Blocker said.

Richey requested a schizophrenic patient for the students to interview. Schizophrenics are easier to observe. People with schizophrenia are normally paranoid, they hear voices and they see things.

Students interviewed the patient about hallucinations. What do you see? What do the voices tell you? How did you get put here? How was your childhood? That last question is asked because sometimes mental illness is caused by childhood trauma. They also asked about drug use, because a lot of mental illnesses stem from drug use.

“It was crazy because he looked completely normal, but he could hear voices in his head. It shows you that anyone could have a mental disorder,” junior Clarissa Lavaki said.

After the trip was complete, the class went to CICI’s for a late lunch.