Boobies bracelets banned

Boobies bracelets banned

Do you “heart’ boobies”? Wylie elementary schools certainly do not. The highly popular rubber bracelets that read, “I ‘heart’ boobies,” are banned from Wylie’s elementary schools.

The bracelets are sold to create more awareness for breast cancer and the proceeds from the bracelets are donated to Susan G. Coleman to contribute to cancer research. The bracelets obviously carry good intentions, but do the students wearing them? Are they really helping the cause as intended, or are they just a new fashion craze and a cause for more discipline?

“I know what they are about, so I’m okay with them,” said principal Mike Williams.

Teacher Tracene Nechamkin thinks otherwise, “I do not like them and am all for banning them. They are a nuisance and distraction,” Nechamkin said, “I don’t like seeing them.”

Mrs. Kristin Y’Barbo likes that the bracelets get kids talking about the disease, “The bracelets are great. They create more awareness than anything else we have tried to do to raise awareness about breast cancer. I think they are a great idea and I fully support them.”

Mr. Michael Vanway very respectfully said, “I don’t mind the bracelets. I don’t know what that bracelet means to the student wearing it, so I won’t judge them for wearing something that says ‘boobies.”

Coach Matthew Spencer questions students’ intentions, “How many of those students have ever donated a nickel to that organization or others like it?”

Students also have differing perspectives, “They aren’t appropriate to wear to school, that’s why I don’t wear mine [in school],” said sophomore Alexis Stewart.

View Comments (3)
Abigail Reynolds
Abigail Reynolds, Staff Writer
Abbey’s my name and smiles are my game. I love to be around people and tell jokes. I will do anything for a smile! I mean that figuratively by the way.  I am new to newspaper this year, a class I sort of fell into. I love to write nonfiction and poems, but this is a bit of a new territory. I write stories, news briefs, and take a few pictures. I am actually pretty quiet when I am on a journalistic mission. I just kind of focus on getting the words out I guess.  No pun intended.  I am also working on becoming a teacher: it’s my number one passion next to writing. I hope I bring creative and insightful ideas to newspaper this year and hope to see you around!

• M

MomOct 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

My son wears one of these bracelets and he purchased it with his own money, thereby supporting the cause. I’m sure he also enjoys wearing it for the attention, but I don’t care. There are much worse things he could be doing and this is not a big deal.

Reply
  • A

AlexandriaOct 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I honestly think that’s a little bit harsh. Because, there’s a lot of women that have or just got diagnosed with “Breast Cancer” and, they can’t even wear the “Boobies Bracelets?” To school, of all places? That’s absolutely rediculous. This, is a situation of the fact that some kids and teens, wear the Boobies Bracelet, in “(SUPPORT of Breast Cancer Awareness)” But, there’s also those “boys” that think other wise. Thanks, for letting me know! 🙂

Reply
  • T

TiffanyOct 12, 2011 at 10:21 am

Great story!

Whether or not the kid buying the bracelet supports the cause actively or buys the bracelet just for the cause shouldn’t matter. The fact is they’re helping research for cancer greatly with how much money has been collected from this ‘fashion craze’. These bracelets have been around for years and almost everyone is used to seeing them even in the workplace, so it shouldn’t matter. The more of a big deal you make of it, the more kids want to wear a ‘boobies’ bracelet.

Thanks for the update!

Reply