The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Christmas time is becoming even jollier

Christmas has changed dramatically in as little as five years, from new trends to new experiences that turn into traditions.

When I was a child my family and I would get all dressed up and go visit Santa. One time my family and I went to Great Wolf Lodge for Christmas and every night Santa would be sitting in his chair with a long line of thrilled kids waiting to see him. My grandparents got all of us, including my aunts and uncle, cousins, parents, siblings and themselves matching Christmas pajamas with house shoes. Everyone matched as we stood in line and waited to get our picture taken. We received tons of compliments on our matching pajamas idea. When it was our turn to see Santa, all 13 of us gathered around him to get our picture taken. I think we made Santa very overwhelmed. Everyone told him what they wanted and I was very surprised when he was able to recite all of the presents he was told back to the kids.

Now, instead of just going to get a picture taken with Santa each year my family and I ride the Polar Express train with him. We started this tradition two years ago when we went for the first time. Our experience was beyond extravagant. We knew this had to become a tradition for our family. When we got to the Polar Express train before we got on the train we walked through a beautiful snowy wonderland of Christmas decorations and music. When we got on the train, Santa’s helpers seated us, greeted us and give us all a great, warm cup of hot chocolate. They are all very nice and inviting. As we rode the train the helpers danced, sang and lead the passengers in games. Then Santa walked down the aisle and talked to every child on the train and asked the known question of what you want him to bring you this year. When he is finished asking he gave the children a bright red and tasty candy cane. As the adventure of the train ride was coming to an end Santa’s helpers came by and told us how great of a time they had with all of us. When the train came to a stop and everyone was getting off the train drivers handed every kid a silver, noisy bell and told the children to never stop believing.

The Christmas ways are continuing to get better and more and more realistic for the Christmas believers. There are so many things that started off being so simple and turned into being more developed. This is only one example of the way Christmas experiences have changed. Look around and see what new things you see this holiday season.