Jeans for Jen

Students, faculty members show support for ill teacher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jeans for Jen

Joy for Jen // After thanking everyone for the donations received from the jeans fundraiser to offset medical costs, multimedia teacher Mrs. Jennifer Holcomb, embraces her son, Dylan Ashley, who had designed a special shirt just for her. “I am so grateful for all of the support I have received. I have read every note of encouragement that students and staff have sent me, and I treasure them,” Mrs. Holcomb said.

photo credit: Valeria Herrera

photo credit: Valeria Herrera

photo credit: Valeria Herrera

Valeria Herrera, Staff Reporter

As students walk into the school building wearing shirts of different shades of blue and their blue jeans, audio/video and journalism students as well as faculty members, stand by entrances with manila envelopes collecting donations Jan. 15. One dollar bill allowed a break from dress code, but more importantly, was collected to help a member of Raider Nation.

Multimedia teacher Mrs. Jennifer Holcomb, was diagnosed with cancer in November. She took a leave of absence from the school to undergo chemotherapy.

I am so grateful for all of the support I have received. I have read every note of encouragement that students and staff have sent me, and I treasure them.”

— Mrs. Jennifer Holcomb, AV teacher

During a faculty meeting, Mr. Williams asked her friend and co-worker, journalism teacher Mrs. Casi Thedford, to update the staff on her health. Mrs. Holcomb requested that the staff simply keep her in their prayers and that cards she received from them made her feel refreshed since she left the school in November.

“Jennifer is a long-time friend of mine who I wanted to help support,” Mrs. Thedford said. “I have been listening to her journey since she first started feeling pain and I wanted to do something. That’s what friends do, they step up.”

On the same day of the jeans fundraiser, Student Council members went into classrooms asking students and teachers for more donations to help offset Mrs. Holcomb’s escalating medical bills.

“I decided to volunteer because as a member of STUCO it’s what we do. We help the people around us that need help,” student council president and senior Karla  Velasquez said. “It felt awesome to know that Raiders support other Raiders.”

Toward the end of the day, Mrs. Holcomb came up to the school to visit faculty members and students but instead received a warm surprise as she was handed a manila folder and two white bags were filled with monetary donations.

“I was completely surprised when I was handed the envelope. I thought that maybe a few students and teachers would donate, but I didn’t have any expectations,” Mrs. Holcomb said. “I was just grateful for any help. I was shocked and humbled by how generous the students and staff were, and I cried happy tears on the way home.”

Apart from the collections, Mrs. Holcomb received another unexpected surprise. This time from her son, junior Dylan Ashley. He designed a blue t-shirt with icons of his mother’s favorite things and scripture on the back.

“I made the shirt to comfort her,” Ashley said. “I loved seeing people in blue and seeing how much my mom is loved by so many people. It just meant a lot knowing that my mom had so much support.”

Besides the jeans fundraiser, Ms. Candice Lawrence organized a t-shirt sale to benefit Mrs. Holcomb and help offset medical costs.

Mrs. Holcomb’s goal is to return to work and resume teaching March 1.

I am so grateful for all of the support I have received. I have read every note of encouragement that students and staff have sent me, and I treasure them,” Mrs. Holcomb said. “The gifts and donations have helped put food on the table for my family and have enabled me to continue to get medical care. Honestly, it has meant the world to me to have so many people encourage me, pray for me and show love and support for my family.”

Valeria Herrera, Staff Reporter

WOO! Sen19r year is finally here!

My name is Vale and this is my second and sadly last year on staff. I like to see things in a positive way rather...