Students have their Eye on London

Brooke Vincent, Editor in Chief

Taylor and five students take spring break trip to England

Five students and world geography teacher Jessica Taylor hopped across the pond to England, home of tea and crumpets, for a spring break adventure featuring the London Eye, Piccadilly Circus and more.

Taylor accompanied seniors Brooke Vincent, Hannah Bradshaw, juniors Daina Phillips, Elisabeth Teitelman and Garrison Whadford, along with Whadford’s mother, to England where they traveled along the Thames and up the country side to sleepier towns.

“I was honestly looking forward to traveling out of the country for the first time and getting to explore London,” Phillips said. “The bonding between my now four good friends was incredible and kind of unexpected. I also felt like I figured out who I was on this trip a little more.”

It’s unbelievable to see iconic landmarks that you learn about in school and see in movies standing right in front of you. The look of London from the Thames is breathtaking.”

— Brooke Vincent, senior

Once the group of seven landed in Heathrow airport, they were whisked away by their tour director to take a walking tour of London, stopping at iconic sites such as Downing Street where the Prime Minister lives and the National Gallery.

“Although I was dead tired from the incredibly long plane ride, I instantly got a second wind once the iconic red telephone booths came into sight,” Vincent said. “It’s unbelievable to see iconic landmarks that you learn about in school and see in movies standing right in front of you. The look of London from the Thames is breathtaking.”

The third night included a trip to the theatre. Students had the opportunity to see “39 Steps” a British comedy including four actors, 139 characters and a plot containing double-crossing secret agents, police chases and romance.

“It was amazing how they could do so many parts in a four person play,” Bradshaw said. “They were so talented and fun to watch. I couldn’t help but laugh.”

After two days in London the group ventured out to smaller towns like Oxford, Bathe, Salisbury and Stratford. During their trek they stopped to see the University of Oxford, the Roman bath’s in Bathe, Shakespeare’s house in Stratford and Stonehenge.

“I really enjoyed seeing all of the little towns in England because they all have different personalities and character,” Teitelman said. “It was refreshing seeing different little houses that all have a history behind them.”

Returning back to London the group spent their last days taking a ride on the London Eye, eating the classic fish and chips dinner, listening to stories on a Jack the Ripper tour and watching Wicked.

“My overall experience was amazing,” Whadford said. “I was able to bond with the small group of people who went from our school, and make friends with people from other schools. I loved all the history and culture in every place we went and I learned so much.”

The group returned Saturday night, not quite ready to get back to school.

“My experience was simply amazing,” Phillips said. “I loved the people in our group and every single thing about this trip was incredible and

About the Writer
Brooke Vincent, Editor in Chief

I’m Brooke Vincent, fan of Twenty One Pilots, Panic at the Disco and Bear Hands. You can take that as bands or that I just really love multiple pilots,...