Seniors Brown, Wallis awarded highest degree of FFA

Brown earns his spurs \\ Accepting his degree, senior Dakota Brown is honored for his work in FFA during the 2014 Lone Star Degree Convention.

photo credit: Courtesy photo

photo credit: Courtesy photo

Brooke Vincent, Editor in Chief

The highest degree of membership for a Future Farmers of America student, the State FFA Lone Star Degree, was awarded to FFA historian Dakota Brown and treasurer Colin Wallis.

They were two of eight members to ever achieve this award under the instruction of agricultural sciences teacher Tracy Vernon.

To earn this prestigious award, a FFA member must have received a Chapter FFA Degree, participated actively in FFA for at least two years and completed at least two years of agricultural education.

Other requirements include maintaining an agricultural experience (SAE) program investing time and money over the last two years, demonstrating leadership abilities, completing at least 25 hours of community service, maintaining a satisfactory academic record and serving as an FFA officer.

Once all of these requirements are achieved, the member must proceed through the district, area and state reviews for final achievement and awarding of his or her degree.

“This award means I’m in the top two percent in the Texas FFA and it will help with college and scholarships,” Wallis said. “I was ecstatic when I heard I had gotten the award. I knew all of the hard work that I put into it.”

Vernon’s goal is to give all of his students the opportunity to be part of the select few to earn this award.

“Colin and Dakota are very hard working young men that went the extra step to get the award,” Vernon said. “It takes three years of extensive record book keeping of all of their SAE projects and activities they do in the FFA. They were excited to receive this award.”

A nine year veteran of FFA, Brown was pushed to earn this degree by his mother so he could earn his letterman.

“When I heard I received this degree I was relieved that all of my hard work did not go to waste,” Brown said. “Knowing I would be one of the only two in my class to earn this degree is pretty amazing, because very few kids in FFA strive to achieve this goal.”

About the Writer
Brooke Vincent, Editor in Chief

I’m Brooke Vincent, fan of Twenty One Pilots, Panic at the Disco and Bear Hands. You can take that as bands or that I just really love multiple pilots, anxiety at parties and paws for hands. Either way I won’t be offended. My life revolves around journalism, I work at The Wylie News and frequent Mrs. Thedford’s class at least four periods a day. I enjoy traveling to faraway places like the Colosseum in Italy and Stingray City in Grand Cayman. This spring break I will be taking a cheesy tourist picture in front of the Eifel Tower and another in front of the London Eye. I have no shame. Hopefully I can be one of the reasons that our staff wins awards and recognitions for top quality reporting and our ability to keep our students informed about not only changes in the school but also what’s happening in the world around us.