Seniors sign to play at universities

Seniors sign to play at universities

Three successful athletes gathered together in the auditorium Jan. 5 at 9 a.m. with family, friends, and classmates. They were each talked highly about by their respective coaches before they signed to further their journey in the sport in which they have each excelled.

Coach Joe Lepsis began the day of signing by recognizing varsity football player, Jordan Wyatt.

“[He] was a dedicated receiver that carried the football team through a good season,” Lepsis said. “I knew he would be successful no matter where he chose to go.”

Joining Wyatt on the stage was his brother, sophomore Jared Wyatt, whom also plays varsity football, his little brother and parents. He committed to play football at Southern Methodist University.

“The campus was nice and I really loved the coaches,” Wyatt said. “They made me feel like it was my home.”

The varsity football team joined Wyatt on stage for one last team photo.

Sarah Scott is a four year member of the cross country and track team.

“She was an athlete where I actually had to ask her to stop running and working out, she was always doing the most,” Cross Country and Track Coach Jason Olford said.

Scott signed to Oklahoma University to run track.

“I chose OU because the coaches are great and can help me reach my athletic career,” Scott said. “The girls on the team are really nice and helpful.”

An avid soccer player, Scott’s soccer team rushed the stage to join her after the track and cross country teams.

“You have to have a good work ethic and maintain that ethic,” Scott said. “This is how you have to work in order to sign with a school along with getting good grades.”

Grant Buley is also a four year member of cross country and track.

“I am sad because I am losing two of my best runners but I am also so happy to know they are getting scholarships,” Olford said.

Buley signed his letter of intent to Sam Houston State University. Along with his parents, Buley took a moment on stage with his teams and parents as well.

He plans to study Digital Forensics.

“Getting a scholarship to any school for running is extremely hard,” Buley said.”About 10 percent of high school athletes actually [get one],” Buley said. “It was never about the scholarship though. I just want to be the best.”

Shelby Strasemeier contributed to this story.