The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Obesity is all around

Obesity is all around

Between 60 to 70 percent of Americans are obese, the American heart association stated.  This is partially the teenager’s fault, although it is also the adults in their lives’ faults.  Many teenagers are constantly eating and then do not have the physical activity that they need to either turn the fat into muscle or just completely burn off the weight.  School also has a big role in the overweight population of students, even though school is the one place where they regulate the physical activity and food we eat. 

Nutritionists from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention say teens and children should have at least 60 minutes of vigorous activity at least three times a week, and eat healthy to maintain a healthy lifestyle.   Texas state law used to require two years of a physical education credit as one of the requirements to graduate high school.  The state changed this requirement yet again.  Students now only have to have one year of physical education to graduate.  They should have at the least 30 to 40 minutes of some kind of activity daily.  The state is blinded by how much power the students have in the class to avoid physical activity.  Gym should not be just another lunch break.  Students shouldn’t be able to munch on food when instead they should be working out.  Just because they are enrolled in the class, does not mean they are getting physical exercise. 

Even though some students do not care about their physical wellbeing, others do.  Even if students are not in athletics and are not on varsity, they still like to work out and take care of themselves.  Some high school students are very athletic and participate in sports outside of school.  Teenagers such as these work hard daily and train just as hard as in school athletes.

Teenagers should have a work out period during school.  They do not have to be pushed to their limit, but they need to at least break a sweat.  The students should not be able to have this much control in the classroom.  They should have daily workouts that get their blood pumping and heart racing. With showers and lockers, they would have plenty of time to get ready to attend their other classes. 

Students should be required to work out daily in high school.