The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Oh the irony

Oh the irony

School fight song opposes principal’s favorite college team

When the victory bells ring out after a touchdown, Principal Mike Williams now cheers with the rest of the crowd; however, as a huge Texas Longhorn fan, the song originated by the red and black Raiders used to provoke feelings of disappointment.

Principal Virdie Montgomery of Wylie High School is a huge fan, as well as an Alum of Texas Tech University. East’s fight song is the Texas Tech fight song and Wylie High School’s fight song is the University of Texas fight song. This reverse coincidence has no planning behind it at all. It is all totally irony.

“The fight song at High has been put in place for a long time,” Williams said. “A long time before East came along.”

The fight song was chosen by the 2012 Alpha class and the band director Mr. Lambert, also a Red Raider.

“The students voted on what they wanted the fight song to be,” Williams said.

Wylie High School’s fight song was chosen too long ago for anyone to recall how it was selected.

“It was all way before our time when everything was chosen,” Montgomery said.

Montgomery loves the Tech fight song, but never thinks about it when rivals are playing.

“I hardly notice the opposing team’s fight song anywhere,” Montgomery said. “I guess I am just tuned in to Pirate lore and traditions.”

Each school has its own traditions that evoke emotion and passion.

“I just believe that each school builds traditions based on the basic things like mascots and successes of their past,” Montgomery said. “Things that happen at each school are what bonds the kids together and on into adult life.”