The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Raider journalists go on to be successful

Enjoying her time in the school newspaper class, Junior Brooke Vincent takes a break from working to laugh with her other classmates.

Past and present members in either newspaper or yearbook have had their own unique success stories.

Nikki Culver was the first Raider intern for The Wylie Newspaper. She is now a member of the La Vida staff, the features section of Texas Tech University’s newspaper.

Her work on two newspaper staffs while in high school gave her the experience to be on the La Vida staff as a freshman at Tech. She is still progressing as she moves forward into her sophomore year in college.

Culver is studying to be an immersion journalist.

“I’ve so far written about 50 stories since beginning to work for the paper in January of 2013. I’ve applied to be the La Vida editor for the current semester and will be applying for an editor position again in December,” class of 2012 graduate Culver said.

Class of 2013’s DJ Brennan was the next to follow in Culver’s footsteps. She became the second Raider to intern for the Wylie News newspaper.

“I would have to say my favorite thing about being a member of the Wylie Newspaper was learning about the history,” Brennan said. “The owner of the paper would have me go through the old records and past articles about the history of Wylie. I would spend time reading and retyping them for future use.”

Brooke Vincent is currently a junior and is the third Raider in a row to an intern for the Wylie News. She is also the sports editor for the WEHS newspaper, Blue Print. Vincent hopes to go on to college and study mass communications.

“I realized I really liked writing my freshman year so I joined newspaper and found that this was my calling,” Vincent said.

Another successful journalist is senior Lindsay Bain; she is a member on yearbook staff. She takes pictures every Friday night at football games.

Bain has sent her pictures to Dallas Morning News and has been published in the “Neighbors Go” section. Bain’s pictures have also been published in “Go Pokes” magazine.

“Go Pokes contacted me seeking professional portraits of Marcel Ateman last year,” Yearbook Adviser Casi Thedford said. “Lindsay was the first student I thought of for the job.”

Bain hopes to go to Angelo State College and study forensics and nursing.

“I haven’t decided if I want to do photography after high school on the side of my job, but I am going to continue to take pictures and see where it goes,” Bain said.

Senior Mackenzie Baker is on yearbook staff too. Baker’s Friday night lights photos have also been published in Dallas Morning News’ “Neighbors Go” section.

“When my first picture was published I honestly thought I was going to pee my pants,” Baker said. “I was excited. It makes me feel like I accomplished one of my goals.”

Baker hopes to go to Collin College for two years and then hopes to attend a college in Houston to study forensics.

Thedford has taught yearbook for seven years and newspaper for 10. She is a graduate from Texas Tech with an Agriculture Communications degree.

“I feel like I’m doing my job well when my students choose to follow in my footsteps. I can’t wait to hear even bigger things out of these girls,” Thedford said.