Get active with Red Ribbon week

Take a stand against drugs and participate in Red Ribbon Week 

Red ribbon week is next week Oct. 28 – Nov. 1. This week is dedicated to the awareness of antidrug use.

“I think it is important to stay away from drugs,” junior Brittany Jones said, “because when you are on drugs you don’t make the same decision you would normally make and that decision could affect your future in a negative way or take your life.”

To kick off the week, stop drug use by wearing red. Students are allowed to wear red shirts, pants, hats, socks, shoes etc.

“On Monday, color-changing pencils will be passed out to every student during second period with a reminder that drugs are not cool,” STUCO sponsor Angela Arp said.

Tuesday is cowboy day. On this day, wear western attire such as cowboy hats, cowboy boots, jeans and plaid shirts to help outlaw the use of drugs.

On Wednesday the dress is superhero day. Be a superhero and save your body from the use of drugs. Capes, superhero shirts and masks are all suggested for this day.

Senior Jamey Portinga felt like a superhero when she left the presence of drugs.

“I have been in situations where I knew there were going to be drugs and other illegal things going on, and I didn’t want to involve myself in them, so I just left,” Portinga said.

Thursday is not only Halloween, but also senior citizen day. Stay away from drugs and live long. Glasses, vintage dresses, high heels and curlers in your hair are all suggested.

Drugs can affect the lives of individuals in a variety of ways.

“A family friend got hooked on drugs and couldn’t get off. He lost his daughter and now has 10+ years in prison,” junior Kambree Jones said.

Friday will tie up the week with sweatpants and sweatshirts day. Yes, finally a sweatpants day! On this day no yoga pants or leggings are allowed.  The theme is “Being drug free is no sweat.”

Remember, on all of these days elementary school dress code must be followed. No see through clothing, jeans with holes, shorts that are too short or tank tops are allowed to be worn throughout this week.