Journalist wins state award

Journalist wins state award

Congratulations to Blue Print Features Editor Caitlyn Bogart! She won second place in the large school Lone Star Writing Contest co-sponsored by the Interscholastic League Press Conference and Texas Press Association with her “Social Media Footprint” feature story.

To be eligible for this prestigious awards, students must submit a story that was published in a newspaper, other than a student publication.

“When Caitlyn began working on this story, I knew that it was going to be a success,” Newspaper Adviser Casi Thedford said. “This is one of those stories that presents a new angle on a popular subject–Facebook.”

With this honor comes a $100 check.

“We at ILPC and TPA are extremely proud of the work [Caitlyn] did for the contest and hope you have seen that a career in journalism is not only a viable career for you but one that will be full of adventure and success,” Jeanne Acton, Assistant Academic Director, UIL said.

Bogart learned of the achievement during her fourth period newspaper class where her parents were also waiting to share her moment.

“As soon as I received the letter and her check, I asked Mr. Williams if we could have a small celebration when I informed her of her award,” Thedford said.

Bogart wrote this story for the WEHS online school newspaper, www.wehsblueprint.com. The Raider Reader, Wylie News, Sachse News and Blue Ribbon News all printed her story as well.

To read Bogart’s winning feature story, click here: https://www.wehsblueprint.com/top-stories/2011/11/02/social-media-footprint/