Best Friends sign to same college

Sign of our life \\ Seven athletes sign to play at various colleges. Best friends Parker Millis and Christian Matta both signed to play at Doane University.

“It's the happiest moment of my life and surreal going to college with my best friend,” Matta said.

Sign of our life \\ Seven athletes sign to play at various colleges. Best friends Parker Millis and Christian Matta both signed to play at Doane University. “It's the happiest moment of my life and surreal going to college with my best friend,” Matta said.

photo credit: Luke Pendley

photo credit: Luke Pendley

Seven student athletes signed to colleges Feb. 7.

Emma Chambers, senior defender, will attend the University of the Cumberlands for soccer.

Heading to Central Baptist University also to play soccer is senior Ashley Cave.

It’s surreal that one college in Crete, Nebraska, picked two best friends from Wylie, Texas.”

— Christian Matta, senior

Senior Clariece Lopez signed to the University of Texas at Dallas as a defender for soccer.

Senior Darius Lark was the outside linebacker and defensive end on the varsity football team. He signed to play at the University of Central Missouri.

Junior running back Corbin Johnson, three time varsity football player, played with Lark for three years.

“He would train everyday of the week, working hard in practice to make it show on Friday nights,” Johnson said.

Senior Justin Smith, starting varsity catcher on the varsity baseball team and middle linebacker for football, signed with McPherson college to play football.

Junior Austin Patrick right-handed pitcher on varsity baseball. This is his first year on varsity.

“Justin said he’s more comfortable and likes football more than baseball,” junior Austin Patrick said.

Best friends Parker Millis and Christian Matta both signed to play at Doane University.

“It’s the happiest moment of my life and surreal going to college with my best friend,” Matta said.

Just this year alone, the two have over 500 yards in 10 games and 40 receptions combined.

“It’s surreal that one college in Crete, Nebraska, picked two best friends from Wylie, Texas,” Matta said.

Both said their favorite memory in high school was beating Forney 50-43 on senior night. Matta had four receptions and 62 yards. His longest was a 32-yard catch. Millis had four receptions with 53 yards and a 27-yard pass for his longest.

“My favorite memory in high school with Parker would be winning district last year,” Matta said.

They are both currently double blocked fourth and fifth period in Mr. David Lanman’s class.

“You can’t ever get these two away from each other,” law enforcement teacher Mr. Lanman said.

After college, Matta and Millis both want to be police officers or firefighters.

“It’s just something we think would be fun and we want to help the community,” Parker said.

About the Photographer
Luke Pendley, Sports Editor
Luke’s the name, sports is my game. You can put me with anyone and anywhere as long as a sports topic comes up, I’m there for hours. Anywhere from football to golf a conversation or debate about sports will go on forever, I’m not a fan of losing. As a kid, I was not one...