The light that shines within

'Scars to Your Beautiful' inspires beauty beneath surface

photo credit: Ashley Survillion

photo credit: Ashley Survillion

Sofia Zertuche, Journalism Student

Today’s society standards are filled with intangible images and false ideas of true beauty. As ideas evolve and distort, our perceptions do as well; and sometimes, not for the better.

Throughout the years, I’ve found myself comparing with runway models or “perfect” and “ideal” bodies. I would pinpoint every single flaw I could see, criticizing my deformed nose, my height, and even the size of my feet. I believed that “beauty is pain,” that I had to wax my eyebrows and legs to fit into this mold. Thanks to “Scars to your Beautiful” I realize now that  beauty goes beneath the surface, that my brains are what makes me who I am, not the number in the tag of my jeans or the color of my hair.

Alessia Cara sets the stage for an eye opening and breathtaking song advocating self-love starting with the description of a girl who wants to be beautiful; trying to mold herself into today’s standards. Starving herself to be like the “cover girls,”  and craving attention. But Cara wisely states that she doesn’t “see the light that’s shining deeper than the eyes can find it.”

Has the media, technological and medical advances made us blind?

Why can we not see the light that shines within?

About the Photographer
Ashley Survillion, Assistant Editor

Whimsical, quiet and observant. I’m not sure those three words describe me entirely, considering the fact that almost every weird word in the Webster dictionary relates to me, but here you are, reading a short snippet of my life as Ashley Survillion. It normally consists of writing, food and more writing with maybe a sprinkle of spontaneous adventures. My journey in Journalism began in my fifth grade year when I was the only one to receive a six on my writing assessment. I started to feel a natural thrill in seeing the facial expressions of others while they read my work and it compelled me to do more within the field of writing. Immediately, I began the Creative Writing program where I gained more appreciation towards the art of literature and its contribution in our lives today. In my seventh grade year, I won first place in a Kroger competition and received a mini iPad as an award. Following that, my eighth grade year I wrote a fictional short story and earned a scholarship to attend a camp at Ole Miss during the summer. This is my third year being a Raider and I’m going to enjoy it even more as your assistant editor. I’m now a senior and I’m excited to finish off my last year of high school capturing these spectacular moments with everyone.