Turner turns the day around

More stories from Lindy Surratt

Living in the dark
February 10, 2018

Long-term substitute is promoted to teacher at WEHS

Listen and learn // Reviewing for the upcoming government test, history teacher Mr. Levi Turner goes over the correct answers on the review using Kahoot to engage his students in class Feb. 17 during fourth period. The new teacher who has just joined the WEHS staff is a favorite among students.

photo credit: Addie Orr

photo credit: Addie Orr

With over 60+ staffulty members, as of lately, the most talked about among the students is history teacher Levi Turner. Turner came in midway through the semester with unique and fascinating stories about his life and to take over Mrs. Be Nelson’s classes.

“I’ve always been interested in learning and after learning a lot, I found myself teaching people things before I even became a teacher,” Mr. Turner said.

I got to do everything I wanted to do. I was in the Air Force, and when I was a teenager, I wanted to own a record label. I got to do that too. ”

— Levi Turner, teacher

He teaches seniors government and economics.

“I didn’t think I would have as much fun as I am. The thing I like most about teaching is being around so many different personalities,” Mr. Turner said.

Turner takes a unique approach to his notes, incorporating comical memes and pictures on slides.

“I think its just his way of being hip. I think they’re hilarious,” senior Madi Caddell said. Caddell is in Turner’s government class.

“I attended John Horn High School in Mesquite Texas,” Mr. Turner said.

He is certified to teach English and just recently became certified to teach all areas of social studies.

“My mom is an English professor, my brother and dad are pastors. They all are very direct and get to what needs to be said,” Mr Turner said.

With all the unique stories Turner has, students remember him for his former occupations before entering the classroom.

I got to do everything I wanted to do. I was in the Air Force, and when I was a teenager, I wanted to own a record label. I got to do that too. Teaching wasn’t something I wanted to do, but I feel very fortunate, because some people don’t get to do that. They spend their life regretting not doing what they wanted,” Turner said. “My teaching style is direct, and my humor is direct too.”

Turner never fails to make his students laugh or even make their day better.

“My personality is an extroverted introvert. I try to remain as positive as I can be and I do that by asking myself ‘what’s the worst that can happen?’ That helps me remain calm and positive,” Mr Turner said.

Turner is 30 and graduated from Full Sail University in Orlando.

“He is very energetic. He brings good energy to the classroom and to the team, and he is full of fresh ideas for teaching and is always kind, friendly and helpful,” History Teacher Chris Bailey said.

Turner works alongside members of the social studies department, Mr. Cody Pohlmeier, Mr. Chris Bailey, Mr. John Mitchell, Mr. Matt Tejien, Mr. David Yeatts and Mr. Pepper Nix.

“Mr. Turner’s attitude and energy definitely brings the class’ energy up, and you can definitely tell he wants to be here, and he wants to be a teacher,” Caddell said.

Mr. Turner will return next school year as a history teacher, primarily teaching government and economics, and some psychological and sociology.

About the Photographer
Addie Orr, Copy Editor

As a junior, yearbook clubs editor, newspaper copy editor, Sapphire Lieutenant, AP student, and full time fangirl, the words “free time” don’t exactly...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Turner turns the day around”

1. Nancy Turner on April 18th, 2018 1:15 pm

The saying is true “no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.” May you have many years to influence the next generation academically – congratulations!!

2. Barbara Allen on June 7th, 2018 10:44 pm

All your experiences brought you right where you needed to be. So proud of you, Mr. Turner! Congratulations!

• Turner turns the day around

Students find formula for success

• Turner turns the day around

Journalism pathway showcase

• Turner turns the day around

Game on

• Turner turns the day around

NHS inducts 95 members at ninth annual ceremony

• Turner turns the day around

‘Shining the Way’ nominees honored at luncheon

• Turner turns the day around

Buy your yearbook jingle

• Turner turns the day around

High school of horrors

• Turner turns the day around

Goating for the win

• Turner turns the day around

Spirit Shop takes on club t-shirts

• Turner turns the day around

Water works

Turner turns the day around