A sweet future

Students start their path to success on Wylie Way Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

A sweet future

River crossing \\ Making sure not to fall into the “boiling hot chocolate river” for the Wylie Way Day Hot Chocolate River activity, junior Maddison Fraley and senior Phoebe OsBourne try as hard as possible to not fall off one the four marshmallows provided.

photo credit: Mya Jones

photo credit: Mya Jones

photo credit: Mya Jones

Eden Stegall, Staff Reporter

The path starts here: the main focus of this month’s Wylie Way Day theme.

All throughout the day Feb. 7, students’ team effort was put to the test. They were given mental tasks of building grit, and setting a good foundation for the career they want to pursue. Teachers set aside their regular lessons, and had deep conversations and built stronger bonds with all their students

“I really like days like this because sometimes it’s good to be able to put away the music, and really get to know your class and what they like and dislike. Just because you’re in a class with them everyday, doesn’t mean you know them personally,” said Choir director Ashley Dame.

One major activity that stood out was the “Hot Chocolate River” activity. It put every students’ teamwork and communication abilities to work by seeing which of their groups could make it across the lava hot chocolate river first. Using only four paper “marshmallows”, each team was assigned to come up with a plan on how they would get across boiling hot chocolate river.

“It’s just all about communication. The purpose of this activity is to see how well you can interact with each other, and lean on each other to reach the goal,” algebra teacher Katie Fox said.  

Another highlight to bring to light is the real-life conversations most teachers had with with their students. From topics like life after school, or even going more in depth on the talks about what students want in life and how to reach their goals.

“I really wanted to dig more into the talk about college, as in what you do and what it’s like because students never really get the chance to be told on how to be physically ready for college,” history teacher Megan Dalton said.

About the Writer
Eden Stegall, Staff Reporter

Well, as it says above, my name is Eden.  I am a fairly large introvert, who is more weird but not completely insane when I’m with my friends. I...