The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Join journalism!

Join journalism!

Do you like our website? Come be a part of our news team.

Get real-world experience in the field of journalism.  First, enroll in journalism to learn all things media. You’ll learn the necessary skills that will benefit you in future journalism courses. We cover news, feature, editorial and blog writing. We also spend time learning the ins and outs of layout and design. All of my students tend to favor the unit on photojournalism.

Yearbook and newspaper classes are also available to put your journalism skills to use. We are seeking graphic designers, writers, photographers, business managers and web masters.

Interested in a career in advertising? You’ll also get business and marketing experience in all of my classes. We are seeking hard working individuals to market the yearbook and online school newspaper. You will talk to local advertisers, collect on accounts and most importantly, establish a network and portfolio.

Are you into graphic design? We need artists who can develop graphics for both print and video. Come work with any of the Adobe Master Collection programs to create graphics for our publications.

Are you aspiring to become a new reporter or anchor? We want you too! We need a team of reporters who will photograph and film school related events. Create your very own news packages and air them on our site. Where else can you build your portfolio and showcase it to the world?

Are you a sports fanatic? We are seeking a team of sports reporters. Do you attend Raider games regularly? Why not get class credit and cover those games for us?

Come be a part of the world of media. Take journalism, newspaper or yearbook.

Contact journalism adviser Casi Thedford at [email protected] for more information on how you can be a part of Wylie East High School student media.

View Comments (1)
Casi Thedford
Casi Thedford, Adviser

Heads and tales

I teach my students all the workings of running news publications. This website allows us to showcase all the different journalistic styles of writing that take place in room 826, from writing headlines to telling the tale. I am a member of  the "Alpha Staff," teachers and faculty who have been at Wylie East High School since the first year we opened. This group, which started around 50, is now down to 12. Though it's already been 13 years since this second high school in Wylie opened, it feels like it was just yesterday.  I teach yearbook, newspaper, journalism and photojournalism. I also coach six different academic UIL events, sponsor Quill and Scroll and am the campus tech for all campus communications.

We like to be a little Extra! Extra!

I have been the journalism teacher, yearbook and newspaper adviser since the school opened. We started publishing a newsprint issue, The Raider Reader, once every six weeks. Then came along our online site, Blue Print, in 2010. Once Blue Print was up and running full steam, we dropped our print issues to just once a semester. My third newspaper editor in chief, Brooke Vincent, wanted to publish a magazine: The Raid. It debuted in 2015, featuring Tanner Smith as The Cat in the Hat in our first musical, Seussical.

We're always write!

Just as in the 'real news' world, we saw a decline in sales of our news print issue. The Raider Reader's last issue was in 2018. We currently produce online content daily and publish our magazine once a year. I hope you will find this site as a source of news, entertainment and reference. I know I often advise others to use Blue Print when needing to find out about something that has happened or will happen at Raider Nation. In fact, I used it on four different occasions just to write this biography!

Let bylines be bylines

I haven't written my bio in years. Just for fun, here's my very first one written by my first webmaster, Tiffany Ing.

Comments (1)

All Blue Print Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

JodyJun 27, 2011 at 4:07 am

Oh yeah, faluobus stuff there you!

Reply