photo credit: Hannah Hansen

Chain reaction Explaining from the comforts of his living room, Mr. Vito Peri teaches his seventh period PAP chemistry class Feb. 9. Quarantined due to COVID-19 contact tracing, he returns to in-person teaching Feb 12.

Biohazard Boss

February 23, 2021

Name: Vito Peri

Assignment: Chemistry Teacher

Mode of Instruction: Quarantine 

Codename: Biohazard Boss

“It has been a challenge adjusting to remote teaching,” Chemistry Teacher Vito Peri said. “You lose a lot of the cues that you use as a teacher to know if your students are getting it or not.”

Mr. Peri was recently quarantined due to being exposed to a student who tested positive, and then he also tested positive. 

“I have been blessed to have minor symptoms,” Peri said. “Similar to allergies with headaches and fatigue.”

Ever since, he has been teaching remotely from home, caring for his own kids while teaching his students. 

“The worst thing about remote teaching is not being able to separate work from home. I appreciate having a healthy division between my work and my family/home life,” Peri said. “It’s good for my mental health, family and students. I am better at all of my jobs for having a break from each, but I feel I am doing them all, all the time right now.”

He has been remote teaching for a week and a half now, and will come back Thursday, Feb. 12.

“I can’t wait to be back,” Peri said. “I miss interacting with my students and being able to manage my own classroom.”