The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Double trouble

Double trouble

Student on football team; choir

In the morning, he practices. During the day, he practices. After school, he practices. But it is not all for the same activity. Sometimes he is throwing a football, other times he is throwing his voice. He leads a busy life full of football runs and music notes.

Junior Jordan Smalley is a bass in the A Capella choir, a member of the varsity mixed choir (the top choir students, both boys and girls) and he is also the secondary/historian for all of the choirs. He is not just a singer, though. He plays defensive tackle on the junior varsity football team.

“Most days in choir we practice sight-reading, then we practice our songs, and lastly we just hang out for the last couple of minutes,” Smalley said. “In football we do a lot of sprints, lifting, and drill runs. This way we get better by working hard every day.”

Smalley does not get much of a break, since both choir and football take a lot of time both in and out of school.

“Doing both at the same time makes my life very hectic,” Smalley said. “I practice football in the morning, choir in the day and football after school, if in season.”

His friends only have good things to say about Smalley.

“He’s a pretty cool guy,” junior Travis Hepler said. “He can be funny. He doesn’t really ever get mad or anything. He’s very friendly.”

While there are cons to both football and choir, Smalley finds that the pros can outweigh them.

“Football is a big part of my life. It makes me exhausted. But I stay in shape and enjoy playing the games,” Smalley  said. “Choir can be very repetitive and gets dull after a while, but the good things are hanging out with friends, testing our voices and learning new music.”

Even though he takes the good with the bad, Smalley favors choir over football most of the time.

“For the most part I enjoy choir more, mainly because it’s more laid back and relaxed,” Smalley said. “I believe that I am better at choir than football.”

He is known for being wonderful at choir, especially as an officer.

“Jordan is the choir,” sophomore Mikayla Garcia said. “He is a member of the varsity mixed choir, which is an accomplishment in itself.”

Smalley can see himself being a professional football player over a professional singer.

“If I could choose one as a career I would choose football, because it would pay more,” Smalley said. “Also, I would get to play in famous stadiums.”