The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Bowers up to Bat

Varsity softball player signs to play in college

Senior Taylor Bowers signed to Hill College to play softball Feb. 26 in the library. Bowers made second team all-district in 2011, academic all-district in 2011, received the Raider excellence award in 2011 and academic all district in 2013.

“If my memory serves me correctly, I do believe she was the first softball player to hit a homerun over the fence at our field and she’s had several since,” Sharyn Vernon, varsity softball coach, said.

Bowers has sacrificed weekends and summers playing select softball even before her high school softball career.

“She’s honest, she’s trustworthy, she’s dependable, she’s a very hard worker, she’s dedicated and has a tremendous work ethic,” Vernon said.

Bowers plans to become a special education teacher and continue her career after junior college.

“I think she’ll enjoy the college experience,” Bowers mother, Tracy Bowers, said. “I think she’s ready for this chapter in her life. I’m very proud of what she’s majoring in.”

Bowers has participated in the varsity softball program since her freshman year and has grown very close to some of the recent players.

“I will miss her so much,” junior Libby Foster said. “I’ve grown to love her over the past three years and it’s going to be hard to see her go.”