From pizza to Pisa

From pizza to Pisa

Students take spring break trip to Italy

Wylie is approximately 5,582 miles away from the heart of Italy, and that’s where some students’ hearts still lie after a breathtaking journey across the world.

A group of 21 students and four teachers led by Jessica Taylor took off on a 12 hour flight to Italy to kick off their spring break March 8. The group joined up with EF Tours to visit Rome, Florence and Venice.

After landing they met up with their tour director to make a four hour drive to a little town on the mainland across from the island of Venice.

“I was pretty stoked for Italy,” junior Rebekah Porter said. “I don’t think it hit me until we were walking around Verona that we were immersed in a completely different culture.”

The following day the students took a boat to the island of Murano to watch a traditional glass blowing demonstration by an artisan who specializes in Venetian glass. The artisan created an ornate chalice and horse in midstride in less than 10 minutes.

“I thought it was really cool,” senior Paola Ballentine said. “It was amazing to see something that takes so much skill. It’s something I could never do.”

Once on the main island of Venice, the students toured the Doge’s place, St. Mark’s Square and the Bridge of Sighs. They also took a ride in the famous black gondolas in the canals that lace through the city.

“The gondolas were my favorite part of the entire trip,” senior Katie Porter said. “It was peaceful and I loved seeing the city on the water.”

The students then moved on to the city of Florence to visit the Duomo and walk on the Ponte Vecchio. They watched a demonstration of the famous leather workings of Florence. On their second day in the city, they took a special visit to the most famous landmark of Italy, the leaning tower of Pisa.

“It was leaning a lot more than it looks in pictures,” senior Chris Steele said. “It was truly amazing to see such an iconic landmark.”

To break up the trip between Florence and Rome, the bus stopped in San Gimignano, home of the world champion gelato shop and some of the oldest towers still standing.

“The gelato was spot on,” Rebekah said. “I wanted seconds. It was super hard detoxing the week we got back, going from gelato twice a day to none is a difficult task.”

Taylor’s group saw Vatican City, the Colosseum and the Roman Forum on its last day in Italy.

“Rome was like another world in itself,” Junior Sarah Poncé said. “It was beautiful both night and day. You can’t find that everywhere. The Trevi was absolutely breathtaking. I’d love to spend another three or four days there if I got the chance.”

Overall the trip went on without a single hitch, with many smiling faces on the plane ride home. Taylor takes a group of students abroad every spring break and summer. This is the largest group she has ever taken. The teachers travelling with her were Tracy Archibald, Melinda Black, Rebecca Wimpee and Colby Pohlmeier.

“I could not have asked for a better group of students, and chaperones,” Taylor said. “We all returned home safely and have lots of great memories and pictures to share.”