Russian terrorists pose high threat for 2014 Winter Olympics

Russia is the country of government corruption, brutal law enforcement and the host of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. Security experts are speculating that the event might be a target for terrorist attacks and that the U.S. should have a back-up plan for the athletes participating in case catastrophe strikes.

The building of the Olympic stadium has already caused strife between the people of Russia and their government. According to Time Magazine, human rights activists reported that workers suffered from delayed wages, deadly work conditions and violent physical abuse.

“The IOC needs to do more to make sure that games aren’t held in conditions where there are serious and pervasive problems,” said Jane Buchanan, associate director of Human Rights Watch for Europe and Central Asia. “It casts a black shadow over the Olympics. The games can’t be a force for good if they come at such a high cost for people building the Olympics.”

In recent events, there have been multiple attacks on surrounding Sochi communities rumored to be inspired or directly ordered by Chechen Muslim leader Doku Umarov nicknamed the “bin laden of Russia.” There have been reports that Umarov is dead, however the twin suicide bombings in a public train and bus station seem to have shaken the public.

Junior varsity volleyball player Hannah Bradshaw traveled to Russia in 2008 while her parents adopted her brothers.

“While I was there I did feel very intimidated and scared,” Bradshaw said. “My family and I were isolated and treated poorly as Americans.”

Athletes from America have been rumored to be targets for any terrorist attacks that might occur. However there is a backup plan. Twenty-six Russian police officers per athlete will stay throughout the course of the games.

Bradshaw never intends to revisit Russia after her last experience unless it was at her brother’s request.

“I would still attend the games as an athlete even though there are terrorist threats,” Bradshaw said. “They shouldn’t be able to push the U.S. around.”

Russian President Vladimir Putin has set up a “ring of steel,” which consists of boundaries including drones deployed, speed boats guarding the coast and sonars to detect submarines. Anyone entering the area must have a Visa and entry documentation.

“Just as a tourist I don’t think I would go to the games,” Bradshaw said. “It wouldn’t be worth putting my life in danger if I was just going to watch one or two events.”