The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Basketball’s first pep rally

Cheerleaders host pep rally for basketball

Freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors crammed into the gym following the band that led them there for the first ever basketball pep rally.

“I think it’s cool we’re finally having one,” varsity basketball player Garret Mayberry said, “It felt good to be appreciated.”

When everyone was finally seated in the gym, they were introduced to an unexpected visitor, J Cruz from 97.9 the beat. As J Cruz introduced boys and girls varsity basketball players to the court, the crowd proudly cheered on their team.

“I was excited to see 97.9 the beat and take pictures with their car,” varsity girls basketball player Emily Hartegan said.

After introducing the players, the cheerleaders chose one girl and guy from varsity to compete in a basketball dress up face off. The players had to dress up in random clothing items, spin around 10 times and shoot a three pointer. The first person to make the three wins.

“It was funny watching Pete [the mascot] put on all the girls clothes. They were too small and his comments were the funniest part,” cheerleader Kyleigh Anderson said.

Finally the Sapphires performed their new Greek style dance ending the pep rally.

“It was really exciting and fun because I loved the dance and the Greece music,” freshman Shelbie Tramell said.