Taking off

French teacher’s father chosen for the DFW Honor Flight

French teacher Becky Richards’s father, a veteran from the Navy, was chosen for the Honor Flight. He leaves from DFW Oct. 25 to visit the World War II, Korean, Vietnam, Marine (Iwo Jima), Navy and Air Force Memorials and Arlington Cemetery in Washington D.C.

Honor Flight is a program that flies veterans to see their memorials honoring their time serving. The cost for each person attending is $1000 and is usually raised by family members or other programs.

“Veterans apply for the Honor Flight and are selected usually based on age and health,” Richards said. “My father was on a waiting list but someone else wasn’t able to go at the last minute so he was chosen.”

Richards’ father, Robert Riley, served as part of the opening crew for the USS Bennington when it was put back into commission in 1944 and was on board until 1946.

“My dad was deployed to Pacific and Guam,” Richards said. ”He returned as a civilian to Guam on a contract as a diesel generator mechanic and stayed for two years.”

On the return flight to Dallas, the participants are surprised with a mail call. Members of WEHS ROTC, along with Riley’s family, wrote him letters to him to commemorate his time in the Navy. They reminded him that even today they appreciate the time he spent serving the U.S.

“[The ROTC] thanked him for his service and some letters told personal stories of veterans in their families,” Richards said. “Some even included their career goals.”