Traveling through the pages

Review on novel by John Green

Powerful Message // John Green’s book, An Abundance of Katherines, is one to be indulged in.

photo credit: Jaime Tourtillot

photo credit: Jaime Tourtillot

Ashley Survillion, Assistant Editor

Over the summer, while my peers and friends spent their three months traveling along the coast of infinite happiness and completing their addition of the ‘best summer ever’, my time was spent reading books and comparing movies. I read nearly six books this summer and only one stood out to me.

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green is a book centered around love and the art of being dumped. In the lead character’s case, Colin Singleton, a student prodigy with academic based talents out of this world, being dumped became a routine for him. He’s the dumpee of 19 girls named Katherine but the last one aka K-19, left a different impression on him.

In attempts to mend his heart, Colin and his best friend Hassan took the trip of a lifetime to Gutshot, Tennessee, where they learned that love is, in fact, unpredictable and that Colin’s calculations cannot always determine whether or not he would be dumped in a certain amount of time.

Colin faces challenges with his insecurities and catches glimpses on the importance of education and the undeniable need for maintaining real life situations without applying it to a scientific theory or research. He attempts to find his “Eureka”, the moment where he discovers something astonishing, but his discovery is finding out how his mindset has been wrong throughout his entire trip and in the relationships he had with all of his ‘Katherines’.

I recommend this book as a 4 out of 5 due to its correlation with today’s society and how everything needs to be explained. Rather than having faith and living life, we look for explanations for everything that is unexplained and once there is one, we build our entire life on it without opening up to other possibilities. But I also  had a small issue with its unrealistic and rare situations, such as a guy dating 19 girls named Katharine isn’t realistic.

The book led me into a visual of the aspect of love and being in love. I’ve read several John Green books but this one showed me that even though we would like to map out our realms and predict our future without accepting the fact that things never work, our destiny isn’t determined by a math equation or a simplified expression. It is rather controlled by our actions and how we handle genuine love. It depicted the idea of love from both counter parts, one is where there is a such thing as in love the other is when the idea of love is what they end up falling for. You can easily enjoy the idea of it, by wishing and forcing yourself, and behaving unruly once the relationship tarnishes, but you would never know what real love would feel like if you only want to experience it and not to emotionally dwell in it.

About the Writer
Ashley Survillion, Assistant Editor

Whimsical, quiet and observant. I’m not sure those three words describe me entirely, considering the fact that almost every weird word in the Webster dictionary relates to me, but here you are, reading a short snippet of my life as Ashley Survillion. It normally consists of writing, food and more writing with maybe a sprinkle of spontaneous adventures. My journey in Journalism began in my fifth grade year when I was the only one to receive a six on my writing assessment. I started to feel a natural thrill in seeing the facial expressions of others while they read my work and it compelled me to do more within the field of writing. Immediately, I began the Creative Writing program where I gained more appreciation towards the art of literature and its contribution in our lives today. In my seventh grade year, I won first place in a Kroger competition and received a mini iPad as an award. Following that, my eighth grade year I wrote a fictional short story and earned a scholarship to attend a camp at Ole Miss during the summer. This is my third year being a Raider and I’m going to enjoy it even more as your assistant editor. I’m now a senior and I’m excited to finish off my last year of high school capturing these spectacular moments with everyone.