Heading home \\ Sophomore Marla Niego playing Glinda, sings “Believe in Yourself” to Dorothy, portrayed by junior Jocelin Wesley during the second act of The Wiz, which ran Oct. 10-12. “Home to me is choir and theatre. Every time I come to the fine arts section of the school I feel like stress is lifted from me,” Wesley said. “I also enjoy being around the same people who have similar interests and passions as I do because when we all come together it’s really special.” (photo credit: Addie O)
Heading home \\ Sophomore Marla Niego playing Glinda, sings “Believe in Yourself” to Dorothy, portrayed by junior Jocelin Wesley during the second act of The Wiz, which ran Oct. 10-12. “Home to me is choir and theatre. Every time I come to the fine arts section of the school I feel like stress is lifted from me,” Wesley said. “I also enjoy being around the same people who have similar interests and passions as I do because when we all come together it’s really special.”

photo credit: Addie O

Bringing it home

Meet the cast of the Wiz

October 10, 2019

The theatre, choir and dance departments team up to present The Wiz, a musical based off of the classic novel The Wizard of Oz. Each cast member brought their own unique flair, style and qualities to the show. Take a minute to get to know the thespians behind the characters.

Aunt Em

Citizen of Oz, Stranger, Winkie played by junior Chyann Hicks

Aunt+Em

photo credit: Addie Orr

What do you and your character have in common?

The thing Aunt Em and I have in common is that we both have a natural maternal instinct and we care very deeply for others even if sometimes it feels like “tough love.”

Dream theatre role?

I don’t know right now what my dream theatre role to play would be, but I think it would be extremely fun to play Tim Curry’s version of Dr. Frank-N-furter even though that would definitely be cross-dressing (kind of?) because I’ve always had a love for Rocky Horror and my favorite song is “Sweet Transvestite” I always annoy my family with that song. It was one of the first musicals I fell in love with and I’d love to be able to put a new spin on it on that iconic role if I ever had the chance.

What’s one weird thing most people wouldn’t know about you?

I was the reason my elementary school cancelled “Wacky Water Day” (a day where we set up water slides and rides and had a good old time) because this kid tripped me on my way back from a water slide and all the skin off my elbow and knee came off. Thankfully there were no scars, but I do have a scar on my heart.

If you lived in the world of The Wiz, what character would you want to be best friends with and why? 

I feel like Addaperle and I would be best friends because I am naturally introverted at heart, but in my experience, whenever I am around an extremely extroverted and outgoing person like Addaperle. I tend to feel free, like I don’t have a care in the world and I feel like my true self (on the inside). Addaperle is like my complete opposite and I think that would make us the best of friends.

What does home mean to you?

Home means that no matter where you are in life, you can feel love. It means that even when you feel lost, scared, or worried about what happens next, you know deep in your heart that someone cares about you and you’ll always have someone in your corner to be there when times get tough or things hit the fan. You’ll always be loved and cared about. That’s home. 

Dorothy

played by junior Jocelin Wesley

Dorothy

photo credit: Addie Orr

Dorothy at times has trouble believing in herself, and I often find that hard too.

Dream theatre role?

I can’t think of dream role, but I think it would be fun doing something completely different, and playing a character that is different from who I am in real life.

I love really weird and creepy things, and I also talk to myself a lot! 

I think it would be fun being friends with a munchkin because they are so fun and cheerful!

What does home mean to you?

Home to me is choir and theatre. Every time I come to the fine arts section of the school I feel like stress is lifted from me. It’s a place where I can truly express myself through art. I also enjoy being around the same people who have similar interests, and passions as I do because when we all come together it’s really special. 

Khalidah Queen, First Winkie, Fourth Munchkin, Oz Citizen

portrayed by senior Avery ‘Cecil’ Pulley

photo credit: Addie Orr

I think I have a little bit of all my characters in me: the height of a Munchkin, the funky style of an Oz Citizen, the constant panicked state of a Winkie and the screech of the Kalidah Queen, especially. 

Dream theatre role?

Probably either Dr. Charlotte or Cordelia from Falsettos! I love them and their relationship so much, it’s hard to choose.

I love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches! Don’t knock it ‘till you try it!

Definitely Addaperle! She’s so fun and colorful. I feel like we’d get along well. 

What does home mean to you?

To me, home is whenever or wherever I’m with the people I love the most. The Wylie East Stage is very much a home to me because of all the lovely people I get to share it with!

The Wiz

played by junior Jamie Gammon

photo credit: Addie Orr

Got it \\ Singing “Y’all got it,” junior Jamie Gammon portrays the Wiz at dress rehearsal Oct. 9. The musical debuts Oct. 10.

I think we both hide behind our accomplishments in order to ignore or justify problems in our lives. 

Dream theatre role?

My dream role is Baker’s Wife from Into the Woods. She’s such a versatile role and her character has so many levels and motivations. It’d be really fun to play. 

I really don’t like George Lopez for some reason. 

I would want to be best friends with the Scarecrow because he’s funny and he seems to always be there for his friends. 

What does home mean to you?

Home means sacrifice and love and imperfection. It means always being there for each other, loving each other even if you don’t want to. 

Evilene

played by freshman Crei Pierson

Evilene

photo credit: Addie Orr

Me and my character have that we both like to take things as a joke and stay laughing. 

Dream theatre role?

Motormouth, maybe, because I grew up watching Hairspray and she always had so much confidence in being herself.

I went through a watermelon phase for two years.

Glinda, because she is so caring and selfless compared to all the witches and I really like that she can stay graceful while still being powerful.

What does home mean to you?

Home means somewhere every Saturday we play Wii Sports and watch movies at night, going to church and then a bike ride trail. Home is somewhere I go to feel safe and loved.

Glinda

played by sophomore Marla Niego

We are both slightly detached from it all yet still find it in ourselves to care deeply about the people we have observed.

Dream theatre role?

I’ll take whatever I can get. Personally,  I’m a bit sweet on the idea of playing most anyone from Dear Evan Hansen or Heathers because both those musicals were a sort of gateway into the world of musical theatre.

I lived with a marimba in my room for years because my sister was in percussion. I also swam competitively for 8 years.

I’d want to befriend the Wiz. That character has so many layers and they are interesting enough that I know that I’d want to get to know every part of them.

What does home mean to you?

Home is anywhere you can go back to to get that feeling of safety and security.