Aunt Em

Citizen of Oz, Stranger, Winkie played by junior Chyann Hicks

April 8, 2020

Aunt+Em

photo credit: Addie Orr

What do you and your character have in common?

The thing Aunt Em and I have in common is that we both have a natural maternal instinct and we care very deeply for others even if sometimes it feels like “tough love.”

Dream theatre role?

I don’t know right now what my dream theatre role to play would be, but I think it would be extremely fun to play Tim Curry’s version of Dr. Frank-N-furter even though that would definitely be cross-dressing (kind of?) because I’ve always had a love for Rocky Horror and my favorite song is “Sweet Transvestite” I always annoy my family with that song. It was one of the first musicals I fell in love with and I’d love to be able to put a new spin on it on that iconic role if I ever had the chance.

What’s one weird thing most people wouldn’t know about you?

I was the reason my elementary school cancelled “Wacky Water Day” (a day where we set up water slides and rides and had a good old time) because this kid tripped me on my way back from a water slide and all the skin off my elbow and knee came off. Thankfully there were no scars, but I do have a scar on my heart.

If you lived in the world of The Wiz, what character would you want to be best friends with and why? 

I feel like Addaperle and I would be best friends because I am naturally introverted at heart, but in my experience, whenever I am around an extremely extroverted and outgoing person like Addaperle. I tend to feel free, like I don’t have a care in the world and I feel like my true self (on the inside). Addaperle is like my complete opposite and I think that would make us the best of friends.

What does home mean to you?

Home means that no matter where you are in life, you can feel love. It means that even when you feel lost, scared, or worried about what happens next, you know deep in your heart that someone cares about you and you’ll always have someone in your corner to be there when times get tough or things hit the fan. You’ll always be loved and cared about. That’s home.