Basketball girls win district two years in a row

Kieron Hunter

More stories from Kieron Hunter

The experience
May 7, 2018
Above the rim // Cutting the net, senior Ka’tlynn Sheffield takes a piece of memorabilia to remember the hard work the team put in to become district champs. “Cutting the net was really cool to me because last year we didn't get to,

Above the rim // Cutting the net, senior Ka’tlynn Sheffield takes a piece of memorabilia to remember the hard work the team put in to become district champs. “Cutting the net was really cool to me because last year we didn't get to," senior Morgan Lee said.

photo credit: Donna Sheffield

photo credit: Donna Sheffield

Basketball has a tradition dating back to the 1940s–when winning a National Championship, a Conference title, or in this case, the girls winning another district title, they cut the basketball net down.

Each member of the team, from the players to coaches, even the training staff was able to get up on the ladder and snip a tangible piece of this memory from the net.

I hung my piece of the net in my room as a reminder of the hard work we put in this season and the memories I have with the girls over the years.”

— Morgan Lee, senior

“Cutting the net was really cool to me because last year we didn’t get to. I hung my piece of the net in my room as a reminder of the hard work we put in this season and the memories I have with the girls over the years,” senior Morgan Lee said.

At the start of the game, seniors Kymora Westerfield, Maegan and Morgan Lee, Ka’tlynn Sheffield and Alyssa Brown were recognized with their parents for academic achievements, favorite moments with team members and their college choices.

“I’m going to miss all the bus rides back home with my teammates, playing music, singing at the top of our lungs. The little moments like that, I’ll never forget,” Sheffield said.

The girls had home turf advantage at the fierce game Feb. 6, giving them a reason to play hard and come out with the win. After pressing the gas for four quarters, the girls won 63-35 against Highland Park.

“Hard work and preparation is what we had to go through to become district champs again,” Sheffield said. “Also, we all had the mentality that we had to win,” Westerfield said.

The team will travel to Longview, to take on Pine Tree in the first round of playoffs Feb. 12 at 7 p.m.

“They have worked their tails off together and have continually pushed to reach and exceed their goals. I’m blessed to work with them every day and love the journey we have been on together,” said Meaghan Hodapp, varsity girls basketball coach.

About the Writer
Kieron Hunter, Staff Reporter

I’m a 2x All-American in Track & Field so that makes me pretty legit. My name is Kieron Hunter. I’m in class of 2018 and I enjoy taking photos sometimes more than running. After high school I plan on minoring in journalism and majoring in kinesiology. I also want to run track in college and compete at a collegiate level. If everything goes as planned I want to compete at the 2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo. I got really into track when I was in eighth grade because I was really fast and no one could catch me. There are many colleges I have in mind such as LSU, Texas A&M, Baylor and University of  Houston. My favorite color is red, white and blue. The music I listen to is very diverse, it just depends on my mood. If I’m wanting to get hyped before a track meet it’s more rap and if I’m trying to be in my feelings, R&B is the way to go. That’s all about me, don’t forget the name because you’ll see me on your TV screen one day!

1 Comment

One Response to “Basketball girls win district two years in a row”

1. Jason Olford on February 23rd, 2018 8:57 pm

Great article! Congrats girls on second district championship! Keep up the good writing Kieron Hunter! Good article

• Basketball girls win district two years in a row

Girls

Volleyball is playoff-bound once again

Sports

‘Tee’riffic hole in one

Sports

99.5 the Wolf picks Raider football

Sports

Coming full circle

Sports

On the field

Sports

6 things to do during rain delay

Sports

Sapphires take the floor

Sports

2,952 athletes compete in Pyeongchang Winter Olympics

Sports

Best Friends sign to same college

Sports

#NotmySuperBowl